Bravia won't stay connected to wifi

SOLVED
profile.country.IE.title
VladButin
New

Bravia won't stay connected to wifi

Hi guys,

I have recently bought a kd65xe8596. 

One issue that is beyond freustatinf at this point is that every day I have to reconnect it to the WiFi. Everyday I turn it on and it will say ''connected no internet'. After reconnecting it it then works fine all day until tomorrow comes and it's groundhog Day... 'connected no internet'.

No issues with wired. Just incredibly annoying having to go through this step every single day.

I have read online about turning the time and date setting off and on but that hasn't helped.

Any ideas why my TV is losing WiFi connectivity every night when it is turned off for hours?

Any help would be much appreciated.

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.GB.title
Psaintonge70
New

Hello,

Problems started a few weeks back.  While watching internet content, Youtube or Netflix, it will loose internet connection.  While watching Netflix, we will see loading percentages and always stops at 25% then nothing, just keeps turning.  On Youtube player will just stop and and try to load.

Even if I turn off TV and tun it back on, it will never connect back to internet.

What I have to do is a hard reset, meaning unplugging power on TV for about 30 seconds and then replug it.  Then it will get Wi-Fi back.  It will last for a few minutes to a few hours, and this is very annoying.

I have checked with Acrylic Wi-fi and TV has a strong signal (smilling face on app) and Wi-Fi channel is the only one used that Acrylic detects.

We have other devices in the appartment and none of them are loosing signal like our TV.  So problem is really related to TV but I do not know why or how to fix it besides unplugging TV....

Like I said very annoying.

We have another TV, a Westinghouse and it has no issues with Wi-Fi.

Someone has an idea ?

Thank you

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Psaintonge70,

Welcome to the Sony Online Community! I can imagine how annoying that can be. Obviously the silver-bullet cure to the problem is to avoid using Wi-Fi on the TV and instead choose for a hard wired network connection to the router. You can nowadays pick a Power Line adapter set starting from about £30 if running a LAN cable from the physical location of the TV to your router is difficult.

If for whatever reason you simply want to continue using Wi-Fi then the way forward is to perform a Factory Data Reset (FDR) on your TV. You can find instructions on how to perform a Factory Data Reset on your TV on this article. This will ensure that any corrupt settings which occasionally could occur on the TV software get cleared out.

If by any chance after a FDR, the TV encounters still the same Wi-Fi connection problems, then you will have to start troubleshooting the wireless connection settings on the source device (router) to see if you can boost the signal strength and quality by diving in the hundreds of wireless settings such as channel number, channel width, ACK timings, authentication type, MIMO rates, all type of thresholds and intervals, etc. and improve the stability of the connection. As a rule of the thumb:

• selecting manually the least busy channel in the 2.4GHz frequency (disable AUTO channel selection) 
  • reducing the channel width to 20MHz 
  • setting a single network mode (preferably N-only) as opposed to any type of mixed network modes
  • selecting the WPA-PSK with the AES WPA algorithm and a shared key (disable any type of WPS functionality)

should improve many aspects of the wireless connection.

Cheers,

Dutchice

IMPORTANT: Be aware that if you perform a factory reset, all of the TV's data and settings (Wi-Fi and wired network setting information, Google account and other login information, Google Play and other installed applications, etc.) will be erased, and the TV will return to how it was at the time of purchase.

profile.country.GB.title
rodrigo991
Explorer

Yeah cool, maybe I could manage the FDR, but all that other stuff sounds
like super tech-geek territory. I simply cannot understand why an expensive
fancy tv like this (though fantastic in every other respect) is unable to
do what my iPhone and every other cheapo device in my home does without
ever a single problem.
Schnauzer365
Explorer

I bought my mine a couple of weeks back and now I can’t get any Wifi at all even though there’s a strong signal . I shall be returning the tv ASAP unfortunately. Keeps saying connected , no WiFi and printing for a password every 2 mins , grrrrr

profile.country.GB.title
rodrigo991
Explorer

Sony will never take any responsibility or fix this chronic problem, they
will tell you it's your router, your modem, there are too many wifi signals
in your area or your tv is too far away from your modem even though you may
have 6 other devices in your home that connect flawlessly. It's you, not
your Sony tv.
profile.country.GB.title
Lz_tech
New

Hi everyone, I  have a solution for all of you!, you will need to purchase a Wi-Fi repeater  there are some very cheap,  starting at like  like USD 12...  usually these devices are to extend Wi-Fi  to connect other devices wireless,  but also most of them have a RJ45 port  that you can connect to your TV.  Basically is like purchasing a Wi-Fi adapter for your TV,  The device will connect to  your home  Wi-Fi using its first antenna and then repeat the signal through the cable to tour tv. These devices often has more than one Function,  you have to select a function at “Repeater”.  This is an easier way Instead of cabling your home. Regards.

profile.country.GB.title
Seb100C
New

FDR solve problems... for a while. 

I already did 2 FDR and Im about to do it again. Every 18 months it seems there is some issue with network. 

I think it's related to a cache or some file that reach some kind of size limit.

My first FDR was after using wired internet only. After a while, everyday, after x hours off, the TV was without internet. Status on checking. Plugging and unplugging the RJ45 was without any effect (then no dhcp error from router). The only fix was to reboot the tv. 

First FDR, no problems in months.... Then same behavior. Second FDR and no problem in months

Then troubles again. New FDR and new home. This time I tried the wifi connection since I had no easy way to do it. Since wired failed twice, it was time to try othrer way. 1 year later.... new problems. Either i need to 'reconnect' either I need to fill again my wifi password. 

The amount of 4k data going trough the TV is huge, usually with a phone after 18 months you change it, or if not factory reset, you can at least go into the boot mode to 'clear cache' and fix slowliness of the phone.

I wish we could try an android 'clear cache' instead of doing factory reset, updates, setup.... 

profile.country.GB.title
jcooper05
New

I also thought a wired connection would fix all my wifi woes. The issue I had was the wifi receiver being weak, so instead I would stream iplayer from a laptop via HDMI to the TV, because the laptop picked up wifi signal way better than the TV. I recently bought a BT Broadband Powerline extender 600 kit. The first time you switch it all on it works fine and the TV internet speed is good, no buffering. Turn off the TV, and next time I turn it on it has no internet. I have to power down and reset the powerline kit every time, at both ends (sender and receiver). The Bravia TV can see cable but cannot connect to the router until after its all reset.

Conclusion- buy a Samsung next time. Sony need to wake up and fix this because the future of TV is the internet.

profile.country.GB.title
slicknetninja
Explorer

Yeah, I've never liked the idea of power line adapters, though I have heard
some people with computers and printers having good experience with them.
I thankfully have the option of running a physical cable from the tv to my
switch.
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

"Conclusion- buy a Samsung next time"

I got a Samsung TV a couple of years ago that crashed the Internet in my house every time it was used for streaming.  Samsung are infamous for using "localhost" on their devices so no guarantee you won't have problems with them either. Was going to send it back but analysed the router logs and then figured out how to stop the issues through advanced settings on my router and the TV.  Someone without technical knowledge wouldn't have been able to resolve them so issues like this aren't restricted to Sony and Android TVs

It seems like only people with sky routers have this issue so not sure you can just blame Sony

- assuming you have a sky router have you turned off IPV6

- not sure if increasing the lease time would also help eg does the sky router have an IP lease time of 60 minutes, which renews at half life at 30 minutes?

- maybe also try splitting 2.4 and 5 ghz networks if you're not wired