Join now - be part of our community!

Can I get the Guide back without a digital connection

profile.country.GB.title
PeteMason2018
Explorer

Can I get the Guide back without a digital connection

A weird thing happened when I got my Mum's Sony TV. It's a lovely 2014 Sony KDL32RA33B and I really like it.

It could play her freeview programmes on the Digital setting despite me not having a digital (or analog) aerial!

So I thought, that's good i can record programmes.

But! now it doesn't display any freeview programmes because I did a factory reset. Everything has gone.

I'd like to get them back again but can't see how. I've scanned through all the relevent community replies but have not found one that applies.

First, my set up.

1. I watch netflicks via the hdmi input.

2. I watch the free channels via the satelite dish connected (via a DVD player) through the scart connection, using the AV input. But 'record' will only work on digital input. 

I can't see a way of connecting the sky statelite dish aerial direct to the TV  - its a different connection, dating back to 2004. It's a round cable wuith a central core and it screws in to my sky box.

I can connect to the internet by running a cable across the floor (I've got a dongle but then I can't use the one USB connector to add storage for the recordings?) but even then, I can't see how to access the internet from the TV. I press guide and then options but get no  'Launch Guide and Search'. option.

I'm sure all this has a simple solution.

If I do a set up, the TV cannot find any channels on digital or analog, of course.

Yet, before i did the factory reset, I could press the Guide button and up came all the programmes, and those that I could see on my AV via the satelite dish, (which played only the free channels because I don't have a sky sibscription).

I thought i could maybe download the freeview channels as an XML file, out it onto my memory stick and plug it in to the TV and maybe  that would provide the information. I don't know. Scanned the replies here but can't piece together how to do this. Must be a way.

BTW, I did a factory reset because the freeview channels weren't exactly right because they were my Mum's regional settings... that was the only reason. 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Pete

It sounds as if you just need a new Freesat box. Have you tried using one with this TV?

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
PeteMason2018
Explorer

Thanks Mick

I mainly thought it was weird that I could watch the free channels on digital despite not having a digital aerial. 

But I'm told since they were tuned in they were (I guess) picked up from the sky scart input and would have all gone soon enough.

Anyway, I was thinking of picking up a digital aerial for a tenner from Amazon and connecting it to the TV and using the TV record feature. The Sony help people told me if I got a freesat box, a number of freesat channels can't be recorded whereas they can on the sony TV via digital,.although they have fewer channels. Film4?