Join now - be part of our community!

Center Sync crackle / static.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
MegaRid
Explorer

Center Sync crackle / static.

I'm having an issue using my A95K tv as the centre speaker for an HT-A5000 sound bar - namely crackle / static.

It is not regular, certainly not constant, but crops up from time to time and is quite off-putting.

The tv is connected to the sound bar via HDMI using the e-Arc channel. The sound bar is then connected back to the tv using the 3.5mm jack cable supplied with the tv.

I have contacted Sony Support over this but their trouble-shooting advice only went as far as to suggest unplugging everything. I have read, in a number of places, static if often caused by dirt or dust which can be blown away. I have also read suggestions of using compressed air to do the job but don't know if this sounds like the very most sensible idea!! 

Has anyone else had this problem?? Can anyone advise on the dust theory or suggest anything else that might help??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey MegaRid, since you're already there, I recommend you follow up on it as well. Even without the video, they should be able to pass it through for the technical team. 

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MegaRid 

While it’s operating, wiggle the connection on the TV, and twist/rotate it, and see if this provokes the crackle. Also try the other end. This will tell you if it’s mechanical or not.

If so, you can perhaps blow any dust out with one of these:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AF-Non-Invertible-Sprayduster-Removal-Debris/dp/B08DFWR1K1/ref=sr_1_5?crid=...

Air dusters work, and I have used one to combat dust and fluff for years. I also have contact cleaner spray in my armoury if I still get problems.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
MegaRid
Explorer

Hey royalbrown2,

Thanks so much for the response and the advice. I'll give this a go over the weekend and order a spray if it happens.

I'll update next week but thanks again in the meantime....

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey MegaRid, if that didn't work, let me know please. I'll be able to help you further. 

profile.country.GB.title
MegaRid
Explorer

@royabrown2 

@HannahEd01 

Hey royalbrown2,

So, after a bit of twisting and wiggling, I don't seem to be having the problem any more??!! The fiddling with the center sync cable didn't provoke any noise, which worried me at first, but there hasn't been any noise since either. I have ordered a can of spray just in case. Thanks for the link and the advice.

Hey HannahEd01,

As mentioned above, the problem may very well have gone away by itself. I have ordered a replacement analogue cable though, in case it turned out the supplied cable was the problem, and am very interested to know what suggestions you were going to put forward (in case it comes back when I swap the cables over)....??

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @MegaRid, thanks for updating the thread! You may also try different speaker cable as it might be the reason. 

profile.country.GB.title
MegaRid
Explorer

@royabrown2 

@Piscie 

Hey guys,

Sorry for not updating any further - I'm still waiting for the cable to arrive!!!!

@HannahEd01 

Are you able to offer any further advice?? You did mention being able to help if other suggestions didn't work and I just wondered what ideas you might have had....

Piscie
Community Team

@MegaRid, no worries, hopefully the new cable will fix the problem. 

profile.country.GB.title
MegaRid
Explorer

@Piscie 

Hi.

So, sadly, the new cable doesn't seem to have done the trick. Having been well behaved for a number of days, the tv gave off some noticeable crackle when going through the settings ahead of switching to the new cable. I wasn't too bothered about this as it was nearly new cable time!!

Anyway, after a couple more days of good behaviour, when I switched the tv on last night it make a very ugly noise. It was only brief, and only as the tv was turning itself on, but it sounded like loud static. It only ever happens when switching on or looking through the settings (and only intermittently then as well). 

@HannahEd01 

Hi.

I know you mentioned having some advice or suggestions you could send my way and I really would be interested to hear what they are....

Thanks all (and any other thoughts from anyone would be gratefully received too)....

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi MegaRid, this is a known issue with this model, I've seen it before. Could you confirm if it's a high noise level? 

A high noise level means that you can hear the noise from 1 meter away in a lively environment with sounds going on (e.g. radio on, children playing, activity is going on).

It's said it might have to do with an internal component, or caused by cable layout. The hissing noise might improve if you change the position of the speaker cable and HDMI cable of the TV and Soundbar connection.  
If those cables are closer to the TV Power Supply board or even close to other products, such as a PlayStation, then the TV will generate the static hiss noise.

Let me know if any of the above helped.