Join now - be part of our community!

Clarification needed on how firmware updates are delivered and installed.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Clarification needed on how firmware updates are delivered and installed.

This probably sounds a daft question... and in fact I asked similar back in December:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/firmware-update-delivery-question/m-p/2271264#M14683

however the behaviour of my own TV makes me wonder what is going on.

There is a new (15th March 2017) firmware update for the KD43XD8305 that is showing as available on the support section for this model.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KD-43XD8305/#SoftwareAndDownloads

I have internet connectivity set up, I have accepted the Sony privacy agreement, and have now manually scanned for 'new updates'. After a few seconds I get a message saying that all is up to date.

The firmware version displays as PKG6.0614.0004EVA. The new version is supposed to be V6.1004

I should say that up to this point I have had Auto Updating turned off (my choice). Even with that set to on, and forcing a manual scan, I still get the same result. I am up to date.

So the next question has to be.....

Are these updates really delivered via the internet or are they delivered 'over air' ? which would explain not being able to receive it at will.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have received clarfication on how the updates work for Android based TVs.  However Sony use the term 'Stacks' :

Basically, what we do is release in stacks to not overload server-capacities.  Whilst doing that, we of course monitor closely the market to see how things go.

Whilst it’s not un-true the 1st stack will always be smaller compared to the ones following, it is the main reason for not releasing to all TV’s in one go.

Stacks contain varying amount of serial numbers, however other criteria can be applied, it all depends on what is being released and if other priorities such as area should be considered.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.GB.title
MIKE-71
Explorer

Is your telly connected to the Internet by wifi or lan cable? Mine only updates by network cable

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Its connected via Wifi.

When I first got the TV back in early December there was a firmware update available (released back in late November I think) and it found and installed that striaght away. Nothing is different in the set up between then and now.  

profile.country.GB.title
MIKE-71
Explorer

Try by network cable if you want the update but if it's not broke don't fix it as the latest update is not worth it

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I've just seen your own problem with this and wondered what firmware version your TV actually reports.

My router is to far away to conveniently use a cable.   

profile.country.GB.title
MIKE-71
Explorer

Yeah my problem is annoying as I tinkered about with a computer thinking something was up with the sound as it was sounding nasty when it was the television at fault, was OK before the update! 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

It doesn't matter if it's wifi or cable. It's just that OTA updates are not avaliable to all regions or all users at the same time. I have no idea how that goes and who gets the priority but it's quite obvious why. Since most of the TVs are set to auto update it would most likely crashed the servers if every TV would start downloading the update as soon as it is available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Once upon a time before Smart TVs - OTA (Over-The-Air) updates for consumer devies was handled by a signal broadcast via the DTT Transmitters.  It still currently is in use for legacy devices.

See:

http://dtg.org.uk/dtg/download_schedule.html

However with Smart TVs this is no longer needed - this is therefore pushed to the TV via the manufacturer via the internet. 

In regards to Android based TVs (and as far as I understand things), I believe that Sony/Google push the update to a small percentage of TVs over time.  For example, for the first initial update - maybe only 5% of TVs are targeted.  This ensures that if there is an issue it can be 'paused'.  If 5% are ok, then it might go to 25% of TVs, then 50% and ulimiately 100% over a couple of week period.

However to confirm, ill send a message to my contact and see if they will inform me on how it exactly works (and whether I can post it here).

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@Mooly01

Hi,

I understand that you have already had a firmware update via wifi to the television but it will not accept that there is an update right now ? If you are keen to install the current update you could follow the download and installation instructions using USB stick as below:

How to download the Updater:

Before you install the update, you'll need to download it from the Internet and save it to a USB stick.

1. Read and accept the terms and conditions below and click download file.
  2. When prompted, save the file to your Desktop. When the update download is complete, check that the file size is 1,588,929,932 bytes. To do this, right click the file, select properties and check the size in the General tab.
  3. Open Windows explorer, locate the downloaded file sony_dtvota_2016_1601004100_eua_auth.zip, and unzip it.
  4. A folder called sony_dtvota_2016_1601004100_eua_auth will now be created in your local drive, and inside this folder you will find the file sony_dtvxxxxxxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx (.pkg).
  5. Copy or drag & drop the file sony_dtvxxxxxxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx (.pkg) to the root of your USB device.
Install the software Step 1: Install the update

Once you've downloaded the update file, you can install it on your TV. Just follow the simple steps below. The process can take up to 15 minutes and during the installation your TV will turn off before turning itself back on.

1. Turn on the TV.
  2. Insert your USB device containing the file sony_dtvxxxxxxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxx (.pkg) into the USB slot of the TV set.
  3. A series of different messages will appear on the TV screen - follow the on screen instructions.
  4. The update will start and a white Led light will start blinking on the front panel of the TV, and the Update icon will appear on the TV screen - Do not remove the USB or turn off the TV.
  5. After several minutes, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update and a confirmation message is displayed on the TV set. - Do not remove the USB device or turn off the TV set.
  6. After the TV turn back on, remove your USB device from the USB slot

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

However to confirm, ill send a message to my contact and see if they will inform me on how it exactly works (and whether I can post it here).

Cheers

That would be much appreciated if you could find anything out. 

Could you also ask how a staggered (if that is what it is) release of an update relates to a user doing a forced manual check for an update. I would have thought a forced manual check should always work and over ride any other settings.