Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

Customers are always such a *****.
But it is not Sony. I have a feling like whole world is in some kind of ignore mode right now. ))
Sony, Philips, nVidia, plex developers, MX Player developers, Synology developers.
majority of issues they are fixing i have never heard of. But a lot of issues where everybody is whining about on forums and to support  are staing open for months already (some for a year). 

profile.country.GB.title
Kyletto

Another minor update, guys - received an email from Sony asking about my sets current performance and if it has in any way improved. I told them that my set has shown no improvement, and only if I set the TV to unacceptable levels of dimness does the error become marginally less aggressive, which is obviously not good enough.

I have also told them just how many private messages, comments and replies I'm getting on message boards such as this, Social Media, Youtube etc. as well as reporting that a number of users have already begun seeking legal advice. They also know I have a significant print and online readership at the ready to report it to, as well - I'm holding fire on that at the moment, but having previously gushed about the set to said readers, I won't hesitate to do a follow-up covering this whole fiasco if it isn't resolved satisfactorily.

Despite all this, I cannot emphasise enough how much I feel like Sony are currently treading water with these complaints and issues at the moment whilst they work on the fix. I do believe it will be coming - it is starting to amount to a bit of a reputational and commercial hindrance in a highly competitive market, but I think for the time being at least, it's going to end up being an endurance test for customers in regards to how long they're willing to wait and put up with this fault.

I'll keep corresponding with them, applying pressure and keep you all informed as and when.

Don't lose hope! 

profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

By the way. Dimming issue is not only the big problem

There is quite big problem with HDR on x265 codec.  Instead of black bars on top and bottom we get grey bars!
Another cool feature from Sony's colorspace settings "PGS subtitles" on HDR HEVC codec are grey instead of white.

Didn't find these HDR problems on Philips android TV though (I have both).

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi :slight_smile:

Can we try to keep the focus just on dimming in this thread if possible?

(It's more helpful in terms of passing feedback to Sony.)

@mmhorda maybe you could start a new thread for the grey bar

issue you mentioned?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Many thanks for your input Kyletto, I agree that it seems Sony are treading water with this issue.

Yesterday I had a recorded message from Richersounds, they said Sony CS unfortunately at the moment are still saying that the tv is performing within specification, but they were trying to get a A1 set up to see if they can have something to compare it with (?). As this is the same information that was given to me a fortnight ago, it certainly seems that they are in delaying mode.

Again the same send a video request which I have declined as the obvious response would have been that it was within specification. I have sent them a link to Kyletto,s excellent video here and on YouTube, but as they are already aware of it's existence this again would appear to be a delaying tactic.

There are some interesting postings that are worth a view on the AVSForum on the Sony A1E Oled 4K Ultra HD Owners thread (No Price talk) thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2839769-sony-a1e-oled-4k-ultra-.... One in particular, the measurements using a C6 HDR 2000 from Portrait Display & Calman. Further substantive proof if any is needed.

profile.country.US.title
caitsith01

Sony saying this is "within specifications", even if true, just means that their specifications are ones which produce a defective product. 

It's like a company designing a car with wheels that fall off and then denying that there's any defect when the wheels fall off because that's the way they designed it.  It misses the point that you can deliberately make a product which is defective if you don't know what you are doing (as appears to be the case here...).

Although here it's worse, because the set used to be fine.  So it's more like a company designing a car with wheels that don't fall off, but then breaking into your garage at night without telling you and loosening the wheel nuts so they fall off when you drive to work the next day, then telling you it's fine because they deliberately broke your car.

I also intensely dislike the implication that Sony gets to decide whether their own stuff up amounts to a defect.  It reflects the thinking of a lot of large companies to the effect that they get to choose which version of reality applies as they go. 

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Excellent analogy caitsith01, Sony have changed the parameters, trashed the set by doing so and then told us that it is within their specifications and that we must lump it.

The The screen becomes darker when watching TV was implemented in the pre PKG6.2858 update and this worked flawlessly, no one had reason to complain that there was an over aggressiveness in it's operation. Being far from being technically gifted, however, I am at a loss to understand why a fix with with this element of the hitherto excellent software cannot be reintroduced.

Kyletto's involvement has given a glimmer of hope and I am sure he is correct that in his assumption that there will be a eventual fix, let us hope that it does not become a matter of endurance. The issue here is how long it will take , Sony's track record with updates can only be described as ponderously slow. A definitive, yes we are going to rectify or no, we have no intention of doing anything answer is required. It is only then will we know where we stand and what further actions we can take if necessary. Next week my set will be 6 months old and for almost half that time the viewing of my favourite sports and news channels has been seriously impaired.

I have been advised to issue a letter of deadlock to the retailer who in all fairness are most helpful yet powerless in the matter. I will hold back on this for now. They are obviously concerned on the impact of sales that this ongoing saga is having. Already there are a few posters on other forums who are holding back on this model and to a greater extent the A8 waiting to see if there is a fix for the issue.

Let us hope that Kyletto will imminently have some news that can draw this matter to a conclusion.

profile.country.US.title
caitsith01

The part I find really baffling is their refusal to allow us to roll back to earlier firmware.

They have now, in a number of places, acknowledged there is an issue.  It is evidently taking them a long time to fix it.  I can't see that technically there is any reason why earlier firmware couldn't be installed.  So the only conceivable reason is sheer pigheadedness and a refusal to give us control over how we choose to use our own property.

If Sony was actually interested in providing good service to its users, it would allow us to flash an earlier firmware version while the problem is sorted out (and, indeed, not implement features like this without providing an option to turn them on or off).

profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

name at least one seriouse company and device that offers firmware downgrade.
If you can't then stop speculating about it. Downgrade is not an option to revive broken tv with it anyway.

If its broken, its broken.

profile.country.GB.title
Kyletto

Hi again all,

I'm currently awaiting a reply from Sony off of the back of our most recent correspondence, but an interesting update is that the firmware update from May 24th was intended to hopefully resolve the issue. I know there's been some confusion as to whether or not the details of that update were referring to a different issue, but from the correspondence, no - it seems they software development team were hoping this would sort the problem out.

I have made them aware that the issue is still widespread even after the firmware update, and, based on what their next response is, I will be asking for some sort of timeframe for a fix or be recommending readers and everyone on the message boards go ahead with their necessary actions and returns.

There's still hope this won't have to explode into a full-on PR disaster for Sony and we will get some sort of timely, satisfactory response, but it's all teetering very precariously on the edge. 

As ever, I'll keep you all up to date as and when.

@mmhorda wrote:

name at least one seriouse company and device that offers firmware downgrade.
If you can't then stop speculating about it. Downgrade is not an option to revive broken tv with it anyway.

If its broken, its broken.

I have to say I'm with mmhorda on this one, firmware downgrades just aren't the done thing, and as I said before, whilst I can totally understand people just wanting their sets to work, I don't think we should have to put with such an easy way out - many of us purchased the set with the promise of Dolby Vision support etc., it shouldn't be a case of choose that or not having this error.