Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I recieved anotther call today and was told that, Sony were sopposed to be releasing an update today or tomorrow ( again I hope I am not being fed a line

He has asked if he can come this coming Friday "if Sony do release the update" (his words not mine).

So fingers crossed eh!!

Seems like they couldn't meet their deadline. What a surprise... NOT!

profile.country.PL.title
topietr27

Hi, I'm from Poland and I also have a problem with dimming in my Sony A1. I am now after the third refusal to accept the complaint. The first time the support pretended that he has no idea what I mean, the second time admitted that the colors may seem faded in HDR mode, the third time they admitted that in the last update introduced the image protection system and playing on PS4Pro where there is a lot of static images system this prevents image retention. And I left the best at the end. Quotes "Expert" "The update introduced features that affect the operation of the TV but does not change its specifications" I apologize for the mistakes, I help myself with the translator

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

@topietr27 wrote:

Hi, I'm from Poland and I also have a problem with dimming in my Sony A1. I am now after the third refusal to accept the complaint. The first time the support pretended that he has no idea what I mean, the second time admitted that the colors may seem faded in HDR mode, the third time they admitted that in the last update introduced the image protection system and playing on PS4Pro where there is a lot of static images system this prevents image retention. And I left the best at the end. Quotes "Expert" "The update introduced features that affect the operation of the TV but does not change its specifications" I apologize for the mistakes, I help myself with the translator

From the UK, we feel your pain. Dialogue with Sony Support renders you to a state of utter frustration and despair and a feeling that the premium you have paid for their flagship model has been thrown down the drain.

The temporarily delay of the https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a1-series/kd-55a1/downloads/00015236 is a possible indication that they will address the issue when it is finally released. Here again the problem is Sony's track record in releasing firmware updates bearing in mind how long it took with the promised Dolby Vision update. 

Their handling of this dimming problem can only be described as shambolic.

profile.country.PL.title
topietr27

support sony poland gave me information that maybe suggestions for dimming the image in for example in games (where we have a static picture) will be included in the next update and in this I will ask you to monitor the situation in the update tab. Joke?! I asked if I can expect compensation for my "small" restriction. I apologize for the mistakes I use the translator

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

I recieved anotther call today and was told that, Sony were sopposed to be releasing an update today or tomorrow ( again I hope I am not being fed a line

He has asked if he can come this coming Friday "if Sony do release the update" (his words not mine).

So fingers crossed eh!!

Seems like they couldn't meet their deadline. What a surprise... NOT!

Sony Support will tell you anything and everything but absolutely nothing that is believably.

Today I received a call, the usual spiel of how sorry they were, but the set is within specification. He did however say that the next firmware update would address the issue. When pressed for a date for the issue of the update, I was informed at the end of August.

I honestly think that they make things up as they go along. It is now 4 months and counting since the issue appeared. Sony's track record with the delay of the Dolby Vision firmware PKG6.2858 which accidentally triggered the dimming issue, leaves one with very little confidence that there will be a resolution soon.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony promises to fix OLED TV dimming issue

Even though good news, I wonder why they make Sony look better than they are. The dimming issue was already in 6.2858 (which added DV for 2017 models) and 6.5603 didn't fix it. So this severe issue has been there since March already. This is something that has to be fixed within days. The article wants to make you believe that the issue has been introduced with 6.5603.

[EDIT]

FlatpanelsHD edited the article after my intervention.

profile.country.IE.title
flashf1
Explorer

I actually cannot believe this, the AF8 has the EXACT SAME ISSUE & FIRMWARE, i've had it since day one when the TV did a firmware update when I set the TV up. Watching any football match is a nightmare, after a minute or two it's as if I'm watching through sunglasses!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

They make it look less severe than it is.

profile.country.GB.title
mikeoz1
Explorer

Hi guys I was just about to pull the trigger on a A1E and came across this.  If I was to go ahead can anyone confirm whether this software update would be automatically downloaded when I set the thing up. I would be happy to live without DV for the time being but this dimming issue would make it a deal breaker for sure. Many thanks, Mike

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi mikeoz1,

Welcome to the Sony Community! The pre-installed firmware revision on the TV will depend on the manufacturing batch date. This means that it may or may not be running a pre DV revision firmware. I can confirm to you however that even if the pre-installed firmware is one of the latest two with the dimming issue, we are rolling out the next firmware update by latest in the second half of september. The new firmware will have a similar static content detector algorithm prior to the 6.2858 revision. So you can be confident that by then the TV will be in good working order. Alternatively if you prefer, you could wait until the next OTA release before making de purchasing decision.

Hope the information is helpful.

Cheers,

Dutchice

[EDIT]: Read updated information on this post