Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

@caitsith01 wrote:

Well, the recent exchanges on this thread really sum up Sony's approach to this.

Someone seeming to have semi-official information shows up and makes vague statements about Sony addressing the problem.  A number of us ask reasonable questions, and that person promptly disappears.  We are still left with no answers about:

1. Why Sony was telling us something different earlier but now apparently admits there's a problem.

2. When a fix will be available.

I am still at a total loss to see how a major multinational corporation can run its affairs in this way.

Already there are differing dates for this supposed fix, 4 weeks ago (Kuschelmonschter), my Sony Support promised by the end of August and now the end of September.

Bearing in mind the how long it took for the Dolby Vision firmware promised for the summer of 2017 but only arrived in March 2018, I have little confidence that this issue will be fixed soon. And, incidentally, it was elements of this SW update that triggered the dimming dilema in the first instance.

It seems that some previous members no longer contribute to this thread. It can only be asummed that they have abandoned Sony's sinking ship and have gone elswhere and if so who can blame them. In view of Sony's shambolic handling of the whole issue, I have decided that to wait for a fix that may never come is now no longer an issue. 

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

So another update.

I have watched 2 football games since the new TV arrived

As I said previously I left the TV on standard mode with luminance set on medium with contrast and brightness on max.

I did not see any dimming with these settings.

Last night I watched another game with custom mode with luminance on high with contrast on 90 and brightmess on 37 .

Again no dimming. I am going to keep upping the brightness each game I watch to see if I can replicate the problem.

I have been thinking maybe the panel is a newer one and does not have the problem or maybe only certain panels do the dimming.

I do hope Sony do solve this problem for everyone and we can all get the TV we paid good money for.

I was surprised to say the least that the Sony company that John Lewis use in the north west swapped my TV they told me that they had raised the problem with Sony and because the problem was not solved  Sony decided to replace my screeen. I am more surprised that the new TV seems not to dim .

I will post my thoughts as and when I up the brightness and contrast.

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

The dimming issue is software based, not hardware there it's not the panel.

I had the A1 since pre DV update and didn't have any dimmming. Following the DV update it started dimming. I updated to FW V6.5603 and the problem is still there. I could only get the dimming to happen with HDR football and tennis. Still unwatchable nevertheless. 

The sooner Sony send an update to fix the doing the better. 

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Scramz

If you read the full thread I too have had the A1 for over a year now.

I too had no dimming issues before the PKG6.2858.0082 update.

After the update my TV dimmed  only really obvious when watching  Football which was mainly on sky sports hd but it also dimmed during the world cup on bbc and itv hd channels as well as the sd channels(I have tried every channel hd, sd and 4k for watching football ,it still dimmed badly. I think this is due to the large expanse of pitch being static green, I suppose tennis would be the same)

I recieved a new TV from Sony which updated to PKG 5603 0175EAU (even though the update has been pulled from the sony site )

The new TV now seems to not dim, dont ask me why or how but up to now 5 days in,the TV does not seem to dim with the same seetings as the old TV, granted I have only watched 2 games so far but to me the TV seems to be as it was before the first update i.e a good picture.

I have read other sites with people reporting this problem, some people have this problem whilst some people do not have this problem at all(which led me to think maybe it was a certain batch of panels particulary early ones that had this problem, as I said only think , I do not have enough knowledge to make statements of fact )

I  have asked before for people to post their picture settings to see if it was some setting that made the dimming more aggressive.

As I have previously said I too hope that Sony get the update out quickly and it solves everyones issues.

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

I don't get dimming on sky sports, only noticeable when watching HDR sports here, like the BBC feeds. BT sport and Sky Sport HD I get no dimming or its little. 

Its good you are not experiencing it. However this is not a panel issue, it's software based, just an agressive ASBL algo just like LG had before they toned it down in an update. 

Just need Sony to pull their finger out for when HDR sports is a thing. 

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

I know what your saying about the aggressive ASBL I have been reading pages and pages on the web regarding this subject.

But you say you get no dimming on sky hd/BT etc whereas before my new TV came I suffered bad dimming on the old A1 whilst watching football on sky hd and 4k

Whether or not the type/age of the panel does make a difference makes a difference I wouldnt like to say as a definate. I just posted my findings/thinking.  I understand fully that this firmware update knackered the picture on an otherwise great TV, but you dont suffer dimming on what I would call normal TV and only on HDR perhaps it has something to do with what picture settings are set at.

Hopefully Sony do release this promised new update soon and it fixes everyones issues

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

Yes, it's all to do with picture settings. If you crank up the overall brightness of the panel then it will dim. 

The panel hardware itself does not self regulate the brightness, that is done on the firmware/software.

To truely get no dimming is to roll back the software, or get a new main board with older firmware installed on it.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Can I ask what are your picture settings if you dont mind.

I must admit I do like the TV a little bright

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

That is just on standard mode, no dimming at all.
profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

Standard mode, no dimming unless HDR sports with a solid static image on the screen.