Join now - be part of our community!

Google Apps

profile.country.GB.title
UKAlfie
New

Google Apps

I am in the UK but the apps on my kd-43x8307c tv are google.com and not google.co.uk and I therefore cannot get uk apps on play store. Am I missing something or can someone explain how to delete the apps already installed and install ones that are relevant to my area.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am unsure on how you know that the apps on the Google Play TV Store is from google.com and not google.co.uk?

Do you have BBC iPlayer on your TV (and it works)?  If so, then your TV has picked up that you are in the UK.

In regards to the Google Play Store app on the TV - I cannot recall if there is any specific UK ones.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
UKAlfie
New

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Every time I search the app store only American apps show. There are not any BT or Sky apps. Have tried other (UK) apps but I am getting a nil response. The google apps and BBC player were preloaded on the tv when I got it.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

And how are BT or SKY google apps? Android TV store is NOT the same as play store. Ask BT or SKY to publish ther android apps as Android TV apps. Or try to sideload them and see if they work OK

profile.country.GB.title
UKAlfie
New

Thanks for the enlightenment. Silly me, I thought android meant 'android'. Didnot realise there are different categories of android! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @UKAlfie

It is correct - the Google Play Store on the TV is different to that on a Mobile/Tablet or the web im afraid.  This is because the apps on the TV must support the 'Leanback' launcher and be modified to use with a remote control instead of a touch screen.  Therefore the app developers need to create a new app and go through googles certification process before it is allowed on the TVs Play Store.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Anyone who develops for Android rapidly learns that there are about as many categories of Android as there are devices that run it 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Anonymous
Not applicable

@royabrown wrote:

Anyone who develops for Android rapidly learns that there are about as many categories of Android as there are devices that run it 🙂

Careful Royabrown - we'll be calling you Confucius soon :question:

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Better than Confuse-us, anyway 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking