Join now - be part of our community!

Opera TV store will be unavailable after 15th March 2017

profile.country.GB.title
Ryanm1701

Opera TV store will be unavailable after 15th March 2017

Thought I would post this incase people missed it. This link is for the specific 55x8509C but am sure it states it is relevant for all 2015 and 2016 Android TV's http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/Opera-TV-Store-Service/KD-55X8509C Contents of the site - Dear Valued Sony Customer, Sony notifies Customers of the discontinuance of distributing the Opera TV Store service (ver. 1.0) on Sony’s 2015 and 2016 Android TVs due to the expiration of the contract regarding this service between Sony and Opera TV AS. The Opera TV Store app will be removed from these TVs and the feature will not be accessible after 15th March 2017.* We thank you for your understanding and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. * NOTE: This app closure does not affect the Opera Browser.
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

one bloatware less. Good.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Fully agree. I never understood why we need a TV platform in the TV platform, which is inferior anyway. Totally useless. Personally I don't need a browser on the TV either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

Those that have a non-Android based TV and discover this thread : Sony has no plans to discontinue the Opera TV Store on other Bravia TVs.

Cheers

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

How is this going to be uninstalled?

It's a System app. There is no option to Disable or uninstall.

Only a new firmware can do this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MiCal1967 wrote:

How is this going to be uninstalled?

It's a System app. There is no option to Disable or uninstall.

Only a new firmware can do this.

I think the key passage is "Opera TV Store app will be removed from these TVs and the feature will not be accessible after 15th March 2017"

So, as a guess - remove/hide icon?  Curious if its possible to set a future time schedule to do this via a FW update.   If date > 14/03/2017 then uninstall Opera ?

You changing avatars again MiCal1967?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus

Changed this only once:smileyhappy:

I wonder what will happen to us in the future, due to the expiration of the contract between the two geniuses, Sony and Google :smileylaugh::smileylaugh::smileylaugh:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MiCal1967 wrote:

Hi Quinnicus

Changed this only once:smileyhappy:

I wonder what will happen to us in the future, due to the expiration of the contract between the two geniuses, Sony and Google :smileylaugh::smileylaugh::smileylaugh:

Oh Ok, I thought you changed it a few times.  I think I need 👓

I think I can guess what would happen if Google/Sony had a falling out.  Just search these forums for vTuner !!

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/vtuner-offline-on-some-devices-nov-20...

Indianabones007
Explorer

I use Opera Store to go on to Plex, will this be availble through normal apps?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Plex can be used via native app from the Goolge Play Store, via Kodi Plex add-on or via Google Cast.

Opera TV Store in my opinion is really useless on Android TV. But Sony has a history in putting *****ty software on their devices. Also see Xperia...