Join now - be part of our community!

Itv player app

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

Itv player app

Can I install the itv player app on. my Bravia TV? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Rockpoolie and @royabrown

I have received confirmation from Sony in regards to the 'Customise TV Key' being greyed out when enabling YouView.  Unfortunately this is not a bug by as per design.  There is a mention in the manual HERE.

Cheers

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Rockpoolie wrote:

Can I install the itv player app on. my Bravia TV? 

Depends which one it is. If it is a Sony Android set (and if it isn't, you are in the wrong part of the Community), then you get the itv player as part of the YouView offering.

But you have to activate YouView to get it, which also brings you the All4 player, but is incompatible with using the satellite facilities of the TV, and also does not support recording TV broadcasts, like the Freeview EPG on these sets do.

i recommend a £15 Now TV box (and you don't have to subscribe if you don't want to, so that is £15 all-in) to add these two Players to a non-YouView Android TV. Or indeed, any TV with a spare HDMI input.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

My only source is from cable via a Virgin box so I'm assuming the you view option can't be enabled

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Assuming that you have an Android based TV (which its still not clear), and your only TV source from Virgin - then No, YouView cannot be enabled.  You will need to tune in at least 1 channel for YouView to be enabled, and then you will get ITV Player and All4.  But once you have turned the TV - you can disconnect the aerial and YouView will still be enabled.  Why not try and borrow a portable aerial from someone or something like that?

Alternatively, as Royabrown says above, an external device such as NowTV might be good?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi there

Assuming that you have an Android based TV (which its still not clear), and your only TV source from Virgin - then No, YouView cannot be enabled.  You will need to tune in at least 1 channel for YouView to be enabled, and then you will get ITV Player and All4.  But once you have turned the TV - you can disconnect the aerial and YouView will still be enabled.  Why not try and borrow a portable aerial from someone or something like that?

Alternatively, as Royabrown says above, an external device such as NowTV might be good?

Cheers

Rockpoolie says XE8005 elsewhere.

i think that qualifies 🙂

+1 for your one-time aerial suggestion.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

Thank you for the reply, sorry for not clarifying but yes a Bravia Android model. The one time aerial connection sounds like a plan hopefully I can get 1 station if that's all that's required then do away with it.

Thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Itv like to know where you are, so it might have to be an itv channel; but put an aerial on, let it see what it finds, what have you got to lose?

profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

Thats worked a treat did need post code though, was surprised that the tuner found the digital channels as I plugged the aeriel connection into a wall socket that is nly serviced by a conventional aeriel.

Might leave it connected now though not sure it serve any real purpose given I use Virgin cable

Thanks again for the hekp guys

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Ever since the UK switched off analogue, a 'conventional aerial' pulls in digital channels,

As far as the aerial is concerned, it is still receiving transmissions on the old 21-68 channels we had in the analogue days.

But now, each 'channel' broadcasting is actually a multiplex, a group of digital,channels, which modern digital tuners separate out into the many, many Freeview channels available.

But while Virgin will no doubt bring you all these channels, and more, live, I don't know if it can do what YouView can do.

Want to watch an itv programme that was on yesterday? Well, you can go into the itv player now, and look for it. Or, with YouView, you can use the 'backwards' EPG; just go into the EPG, go back to yesterday, find the programne you missed, select it - and YouView will automagically start the itv player, with the programme you wanted, and play it out to you. (As long as it is available, that is; and if it isn't, it won't be on the itv player either).

Same for programmes on BBC, Channel 4, and Channel 5. Up to 7 days in the past, not just yesterday, either.

Can Virgin do this for you? If not, well worth keeping that aerial connection in place 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

Thanks for the explanation re the aerial I wasnt aware of this as that particular socket hasn't been used in years.

The Virgin V6 Tivo box does give me the same functionality. The reason I connected up was to get direct acces to ITV player and All 4 from the TV which I have now. Though Im not sure I understand how I still get this now (and the you view guide) if I disconnect the aerial feed, presumably via the net. But if that's the case why wouldn't Itv player work direct without initially making the aerial connection?

Anyway all sorted now thank you