Join now - be part of our community!

Itv player app

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

Itv player app

Can I install the itv player app on. my Bravia TV? 

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

One thing I've noticed is that now the TV button now defaults to select the digital channel despite previoiusly being set up for my hdmi connection to the Virgin Box and the customise TV key option is grayed out within the external inpur settings presumably because YouView is now enabled?

profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

Double post

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Presumably.

I did not know it did that, and nor do I think it should,

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/selecting-youvew-on-the-sony-android-tvs-does-it-lock-t...

I have enquired of YouView on your behalf.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

Thank you for all your help it appreciated

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Rockpoolie wrote:
Thanks for the explanation re the aerial I wasnt aware of this as that particular socket hasn't been used in years.

The Virgin V6 Tivo box does give me the same functionality. The reason I connected up was to get direct acces to ITV player and All 4 from the TV which I have now. Though Im not sure I understand how I still get this now (and the you view guide) if I disconnect the aerial feed, presumably via the net. But if that's the case why wouldn't Itv player work direct without initially making the aerial connection?

Anyway all sorted now thank you

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

The Guide will gradually die out, I think, if you leave the aerial disconnected. Some of the information in it comes over the internet, but I don't think that will be enough to keep it alive. BICBW.

The itv Player and All 4 come over the Internet, and so should continue to work perfectly well within an aerial connection.

These two Players are provided as part of the YouView service, and only as part of the YouView service, so you have to fulfil the YouView requirements to get them, and part of that is you must tune in the terrestrial channels.

A small hoop to jump through, after which you can game the system by disconnecting the aerial. YouView boxes are much pickier here, and cannot so easily be gamed to operate without an aerial 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

YouView don't think that they are turning off the TV Customisation here, and suggest you raise this with Sony Support. Fifteen-love, the ball is back in your court 😞

Which Quinnicus will no doubt know the best route to take, as Sony staff don't roam this forum like I think they should, while YouView staff do roam the YouView forum.

Does your Virgin box implement CEC though? (What Sony call BraviaSync, though it is a universal HDMI switching standard that every manufacturer seems to have its own name for, and some variance in how much of the standard it supports).

If so, then from the situation in which both TV and TiVo are in Standby, switching the TiVo on should also be able to switch on the TV and switch to the TiVo input, if CEC can be, and is, enabled on both devices.

Worth investigating, if you don't already have it working like this.

profile.country.GB.title
Rockpoolie
Explorer

Thanks  - yes the TV supports CEC/Bravia sync and this was set up and working though I'm not sure it is now as I've noticed the linked Sony soundbar doesn't seem to fire up as it did, or even goes off when I  I dont recall changing any settings at least not deliberately  - one to check when I get home later tonight

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya

If you are using a Tivo box - sometimes the HDMI-CEC on that has caused compatibility issues in the past with other devices.  A simple reboot of the Tivo box seems to fix that.

In regards to why YouView over-rules the TV button on the remote control - I'll pass this onto Sony (as I am also now curious as to why !)  Will get back to you if/when I get an answer.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Quinnicus

i can see why it would overrule any existing setting for this button.

i think the question you want to be asking Sony is why, having done that, it also grays out the 'Customise TV Button' feature to you can't switch away from the YouView default setting again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As this 'Customise TV Key' issue can be reproduced, I have added this to the bugs/issues list:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2330944#M19228