Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49XD 8305 Blue lines

SOLVED
kwimper
Explorer

KD-49XD 8305 Blue lines

Recently purchased 4K Bravia, all good except on Netflix and HD Amazon the display has horizontal blue lines, sometimes fuzzy sometimes well defined.  These disappear for a half second then reappear for 2-3 seconds as though pulsating.  Home network is 38mbps so no issue with internet connectivity.  Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Netflix, factory reset, speaking to Netflix, no joy.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kwimper
Explorer

Thought I would update now that issue is resolved.

After a lot of frustrating to-ing and fro-ing on the phone to Sony, an engineer was finally dispatched.  Diagnosed the problem within seconds of seeing the blue lines as a screen fault.  Within seconds...  Hugely disappointing service from Sony - it took over 6 weeks from initial phone call before an engineer was sent to visit.  along the way I was asked to send video of the fault - via email - only to discover that Sony have a 2mb limit to attachments, which meant the video was approximately 1s long.  When I challenged them to provide an alternative means of letting me send them the evidence that they required, they suddenly found a means to escalate the issue an didn't need the video after all...

We now have a replacement unit which functions fine with Netflix and Amazon but has inexplicably developed an issue with Youtube... which seems to be the same as reported here https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/49xd8088-poor-youtube-quality/td-p/2286144.  

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
kwimper
Explorer

A couple of examples below (sorry they're upside down)IMG_6660.JPG:

IMG_6657.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It is interesting that its happening on both Netflix and Amazon and was wondering if it happens on any other sources like broadcast TV (i.e. Freeview).

You have already factory reset the TV and its not fixed - is the firmware upto date as well? 

However to be honest, I am more inclined to think this is more a general hardware fault.  As its a new TV, I would suggest contacting the retailer you purchased it from and arrange an exchange for another one instead.

Cheers

kwimper
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your reply.  This doesn't happen on broadcast TV, now.

Yes I have factory reset the TV and the firmware is up to date.

I will go back to the retailer and see if I can arrange an exchange.

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Let us know how it goes with the retailer on an exchange.   But it is interesting that it doesnt happen with broadcast TV. 

Cheers

kwimper
Explorer

To update...

Went back to the retailer who was able to replicate the fault.  I am outside the 30 days within which they could have simply exchanged the unit, so they contacted Sony.  Apparently this is a known fault (although I've not found anyone else reporting it...) and they are due to issue firmware updates to address it.  In the meantime Sony advised that I should check that firmware/software is up to date on the TV and that my Netflix and Amazon apps are up to date.  These were all already up to date, but I have checked again tonight to be sure.

The problem remains - I assume I just have to sit tight and wait for a firmware update.  Hugely frustrating given that this is supposed to work out of the box.  I have a number to call Sony and will be doing so on a regular basis until this is resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kwimper

Thank you for the update.  Hopefully a new firmware is released in quick time.

Cheers

kwimper
Explorer

Thought I would update now that issue is resolved.

After a lot of frustrating to-ing and fro-ing on the phone to Sony, an engineer was finally dispatched.  Diagnosed the problem within seconds of seeing the blue lines as a screen fault.  Within seconds...  Hugely disappointing service from Sony - it took over 6 weeks from initial phone call before an engineer was sent to visit.  along the way I was asked to send video of the fault - via email - only to discover that Sony have a 2mb limit to attachments, which meant the video was approximately 1s long.  When I challenged them to provide an alternative means of letting me send them the evidence that they required, they suddenly found a means to escalate the issue an didn't need the video after all...

We now have a replacement unit which functions fine with Netflix and Amazon but has inexplicably developed an issue with Youtube... which seems to be the same as reported here https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/49xd8088-poor-youtube-quality/td-p/2286144.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for posting back and letting us know of the outcome.  I will mark this thread as resolved, but can you make a post on the other thread in regards to YouTube.

Cheers