Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49XG8396 - wifi problems

profile.country.GB.title
maxi20
Explorer

KD-49XG8396 - wifi problems

Hi everyone, got a problem with above TV that seems to get a lot of attention. I bought the first one in April and after a system update started to get a message saying wifi not connected every 30 mins followed shortly after by another message saying wifi is connected. Was advised by Sony to use USB stick and upgrade to software version 6.6555 which I did but the problem continued. Was then advise to do a factory reset but the problem still continued.

As the TV was less than 30 days old, arranged for a replacement which arrived and had software version 6.6050 installed. I had no problems with this wifi on this TV.

Today the TV upgraded to software version 6.6555 and the wifi problem returned. Sony say the 6.6555 version was  "Regarding your enquiry for your Sony TV, kindly note that Software Version 6.6555 was released to solve the Wi-Fi issue and other Software related issues." 

Really stuck with problem now as I don't know if it is possible to reverse this update and return to 6.6050.

Anybody got any ideas please.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

It would be best to contact Sony support here.

Let us know how it goes.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
maxi20
Explorer

Many thanks for your reply.

Was in touch with Sony support today, spent about an hour on the phone with them, they then took remote control of the tv,  (didn't know they could do that), but nothing resolved. They said they would take the problem up to the next level.  Don't understand that either  but they said someone will contact me within 48 hrs. Will just have to wait and see what happens.

Got rid of the messages by turning off  the tv wifi but now instead of a SMART tv I now have a DUMB tv.

profile.country.GB.title
maxi20
Explorer

Well, the 48 hrs when they said they would reply by has long gone and nothing heard.

Contacted Sony Support and asked if any news but no there isn't. Enquired about the possibility of a replacement or refund and was told that the warranty only applied to "hardware" and as I had a "software" problem the warranty did not apply. 

Strange that it was their software that caused the problem.

Not very impressed with Sony Support.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Sky router?

If so you can try turning off IPV6 for lan and dhcp in the router settings, and reset up the Tv network connection

profile.country.GB.title
maxi20
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is a SKY Router, tried turning off IPV6 on LAN but made no difference.

unticked box from Enable  IPv6 on LAN side and

unticked box from Enable IPv6 DHCP Server

profile.country.GB.title
maxi20
Explorer

Also wondered if it would be worthwhile trying a Powerline Adaptor connected to the LAN socket and leaving wifi turned off at the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Worth a try.  There's another thread like yours and not sure if that's wired. Can you temporarily hook it up by lan cable or get some power lines with free return like amazon? 

profile.country.GB.title
maxi20
Explorer

Unfortunately too far to router to use cable, will see if anyone round here has a set of Powerlines and are willing to let me borrow.

Was really asking if anyone new if that has sorted out the problem for other people.

If it will cure the problem and I get a smart tv again the price of the Powerlines will be worth it.