Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55X8505C picks/delays/judder from HDD recorded movies

profile.country.DK.title
1234jj
Explorer

KD-55X8505C picks/delays/judder from HDD recorded movies

Hi

I am the proud owner of a SONY KD-55X8505C and it is a perfect TV :- ) except from 2 issues (one small issue and one rather big issue)
I will only ask one issue at the time so here goes issue 1:(the big one)I will try to explain:

When watching TV input from HDD in this case a HDD from Western Digital - Elements Portable P/N="WDBU6Y0020BBK-0B" 2TB.
The finished recorded product is always very sharp but picks/delays/judder of picture during the play:
especially viewable when panning or scrolling text in the end of a movie.

Practical Example is BBC series "The Living Planet" recorded from Danish television channel DR1-HD and DR3-HD.
Here there is a lot of panning/panoramic and here the delays/picks/judder is very easy to see,
or when watching scrolling text: the text do not move fluently but hacks a bit,
(like the scrolling stops for a split second and then move on),
or when recording soccer and following the football from a bird perspective the football moves with "delay/picks/judder".

My KD-55X8505C software is upgraded to v3.473.(latest)
My HDD WDBU6Y0020BBK is verified by the KD-55X8505C software to be ok for all use.
I have a USB3 cable between the TV and the HDD.
I have tried to replace the USB3 cable with a new USB3 cable and it is the same issue.
I have tried with another HDD (WDBU6Y0020BBK 2TB - (Yes I have 2 of those ;- ))) and result is the same.
I have tried with another old HDD 320 GB, usb2, with external power and result is the same when playing movie recorded from SONY TV.
When watching TV (any channels) the picture is always sharp and good.
When streaming from the internet (Netflix, YouTube etc) the picture is sharp and good.
Output from blu-ray is sharp and good.
TV input is from Waoo (my tv cable provider) and TV "signal quality" is 100 and "signal level" is 44.

I have downloaded material from www.4ksamples.com: "[2160p] 4K-HD.Club-2013-Taipei 101 Fireworks Trailer (4ksamples.com).mp4” and played from a 32 GB USB key from 2 different USB entry on the KD-55X8505C. All played sharp and very fine.

I suspect this to be a recording software issue on the KD-55X8505C. But how to analyze this?
Anything else that I miss or just some good advices in order to fix or analyze this?
What HDD is recommend to be used for KD-55X8505C?

Anyone else having the same issue as me?

Thanks & regards
JJ

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

For issue one, try experimenting with the different 'motionflow' options to see if it helps.  I know you mention that it is fine when watching 'live' tv.  A long shot.

To be honest, this is the first time ive seen this issue posted - so at the moment, I can only assume it is at your end.

One thing I will suggest is that if you have not factory reset the TV - give it a go.  Especially if you have updated the firmware.  This seems to cure many weird/random issues.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
timcock
Explorer

I have judder as you describe, with a KD43-XD8305bu combined with a Maxtor M3 1TB portable HDD (USB3.0, 5Gb/s). Freeview HD when played back is largely watchable and sharp, but judder on panning and on scrolling text is very noticeable. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Firstly thanks to Quinnicus for staying on the case with this. Its appreciated.

I would ask that those having this issue register a support case with Sony as that is the only way this issue will gather the momentum needed for a fix. At the top of this page is a link for 'Support' and a dropdown for 'Support' with the contact details being shown at the bottom of the page.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Mooly01

Is ES File Explorer installed on your TV ?

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Not that I know of.

Apart from connecting to the web for the firmware update I have web connectivity turned off (by choice) and the TV is used as purely a TV. So unless it is installed by default then no, its not present. 

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

What I understood in my case is that Recording during issue existence was OK. I mean it was not a jerky recording. The problem was the playback at that moment. And that's because when issue "solved" after a reboot the previously recorded was perfectly playable.

I mentioned ES file explorer because this somehow "controls" disks, has rights on disks.

Also the HDD before reboot behaved badly making strange noises, the video loading stuck on 50% for 5 seconds and then ended instantly to 100%. Now it loads smoothly and quickly to 100% with no "50%" stuck.