Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XD7005 HDR Update

SOLVED
ursusltd
Explorer

KD-55XD7005 HDR Update

I bought a KD-55XD7005 a few weeks ago on the promise of the HDR update. This has now been released and installed but I can't see any evidence of it. How can I tell and will it work with files on a usb stick?

In the picture settings there are no HDR modes when playing so called hdr files yet the sony documentation says there should be an indication?

Does anyone know just what the requirements are file wise for the HDR update and whether there should be any additional menu settings?

Many thanks (in frustration!)

Lou

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

HDR should activate itself automatically upon detection of the HDR metadata once playing suitable HDR videos.  Some test files can be located HERE, or if you have the 4K Netflix package you can test (even sign up to Netflix for 1 month free, if you have not used Netflix for a while).  As well as there are some HDR files on YouTube.

Once playing a HDR video, goto the "Action Menu" and you should notice HDR in the "Picture Mode" area.

Cheers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

HDR should activate itself automatically upon detection of the HDR metadata once playing suitable HDR videos.  Some test files can be located HERE, or if you have the 4K Netflix package you can test (even sign up to Netflix for 1 month free, if you have not used Netflix for a while).  As well as there are some HDR files on YouTube.

Once playing a HDR video, goto the "Action Menu" and you should notice HDR in the "Picture Mode" area.

Cheers

ursusltd
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I had downloaded a sample file from that site before but must have got the wrong one as I tried again and bingo - I can see the HDR notification so many thanks! I have Netflix but our rural broadband just about manages 4 or 5 meg so no 4k streaming for me.

Just one other question, I know this TV only has an 8 bit panel so how does this implementation of HDR compare to "premium" HDR. Will it be worth investing in a 4k discplayer and HDR discs?

Many thanks in advance.

Lou

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You're Welcome :slight_smile:

In regards to 8bit panels, see my answer in this thread :

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/kd-55xd8599bu-good-for-ps-pro/m-p/2247873

tilo38fr
New

Any chance to have HDR from my Xbox one S ?

Xbox is detected no HDR available from the TV

TV updated on december when I connected it to the internet ( fiber ) so I assume it should be ok.

if the TV waits for some HDR input to switch and the xbox waits for "I accept HDR" message from TV, it su...

tilo38fr
New

Go those who search the solution for the xbox ( apologies for approximative menu names, I translate from french )

on Xbox ( if you start from TV you take the risk of blank screen ) 

- All parameters ( be sure to use master/parent account )

- Display and sound

- video output

- resolution set to 4K on fist column, on second column, color dept set to 30bits per pixle (10bits)

-go to advance video parameters : allow all configuration ( 50hz, 24hz, HDR,4k)

- Go to TV 4K details : May be at this moment you have warnings and blocked then you go for the lines below for the TV configuration

on TV

- go to parameters ( home, bottom of the list ) 

- External entries

- HDMI format

- switch to : Improved format

Be careful your input device must be on Hdmi 2 or 3 

- back to the Xbox : go to the TV 4k details and ... Ta daaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your TV takes in charge 4k 10 bits at 24Hz

your TV takes in charge 4k 10 bits at 50Hz

your TV takes in charge 4k 10 bits at 60Hz

your TV takes in charge HDR videos

Games

your TV takes in charge 4k 10 bits at 60Hz

your TV takes in charge games in HDR

Enjoy !

Tilo

France

profile.country.GB.title
dacharl47