Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65XE9305 slow wifi/internet connections.

profile.country.GB.title
bluemoon1961
Explorer

KD-65XE9305 slow wifi/internet connections.

Bought new KD-65XED9305 in Spain. Got Movistar fibre optic 300mb connection and the router has been installed near to the tv, so we can use a cable directly from router into tv.

The wifi and cat5 cable on tv (beta.speedtest.net and fast.com) are both showing speeds not exceeding 30mbs, up and download speeds.

My laptop with cat5 cable and on wifi will receive in excess of 250mbs up and download speeds. 

Software is updated. (PKG6.2601.0065EUA) not showing any new updates available.

Had a look through some of the posts here, but can't find any help. I'm not very technic, but willing to try anythng to improve the speed. Any suggestions. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thats very interesting indeed.  Have a read of this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/a1-very-slow-internet-using-a-wired-connection/td-p/23576...

It seems very similar to your issue - you both have 2017 model TVs too. 

I dont have anything to suggest to help you at this moment, however im going to do a little digging and see if others are having similar issues too.  Either way, I will report/esclate this to Sony Support on your behalf.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
bluemoon1961
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've just read that post and it appears we are having similar issues. I have 2 internet options, one is MOVISTAR_123C and the other is MOVISTAR_PLUS_123C.

I can connect on the internet with my laptop, phone, etc with both options above, but the Sony KD-65XE9305 will only connect to the first option (MOVISTAR_123C) using the cable or wifi. However, both speeds are 26-30mbs.

I've done speedtests using both options on my laptop. The 1st option on my laptop reaches max 50 mbs, but the 2nd option with the (PLUS)  is reaching 310 mbs upload and 290 download.

However, the TV won't accept the MOVISTAR_PLUS_123C saying the password is invalid, but I know it's correct because I've just gone onto that network on a different device and entered the same password.

I've been messing about with this all day, taking the wifi off, searching for new networks, etc and re trying. It is finding the 2nd network and I know 100% that the password is correct, but it won't connect.  I've tried different ports, rebooting modem, but no joy. I'm tempted to do a new install/fresh start, but I'm going to be mega sad if I lose all my apps and I'm still in the same position.  

My laptop connects to both and this is the info from my laptop. Can't see much difference, except the band and network channel. Would that be significant?

Thanks, Carla

SSID:      MOVISTAR_123C

Protocol:              802.11n

Security type:    WPA2-Personal

Network band:  2.4 GHz

Network channel:            6

IPv4 address:     ***********

SSID:      MOVISTAR_PLUS_123C

Protocol:              802.11ac

Security type:    WPA2-Personal

Network band:  5 GHz

Network channel:            104

IPv4 address:     **************

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Your problem seems to be actually different from the one in the other linked thread. I mean, here you get full bandwidth from the laptop, as you should. Personally I had a similar issue, but my bandwidth was going up to full bandwidth and down to 20% of it.

Anyway, as wired you may try the following;

1. Connect the TV via ethernet, using the same cable you tested as working with the laptop
  2. Check the internet speed
  3. Try to delete the Android cache (something like: Setting/Memory/Internel memory/Cache)
  4. Check the internet speed

I think that's all you can do for the Ethernet without resetting to factory settings..

After the previous steps, to try to make the WiFi working you may use the WPS:

1. Unplug the ethernet cable
  2. Go into the router web interface (on you laptop)
  3. Select WiFi
  4. Select the MOVISTAR_PLUS_123C 5GHz ac interface
  5. Somewhere there should be a button to temporarily enable the WPS
  6. In the TV WiFI Setttings there is an option"Connect via WPS"
  7. Click on "Connect to WPS" and the TV will search for any router with the available WPS and then connect.

That should bypass the use of passwords, although it isn't right that the TV won't be able to connect to the WiFi using the correct password.

If it still doesn't connect there might be a router compatibility. Maybe check if there is any FWupdate for the router or reset to factory settings the router first.

Otherwise it might be time to reset to factory settings your TV. Yes, it's a pain in the neck. I suggest to take few pictures of the apps installed and of your most favorite picture settings if you customized them.

You won't be happy to know indeed that only a reset to factory settings fixed my connection issues. And there is no assurance that it is always the solution either. But the chances are high.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Sorry your having problems and Im nowhere near being savvy with any of this , but I have noticed with my tv that if I have the wired connection in the router and tv I cannot connect to either 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz but if I unplug the wired connection then I can connect to the tv by wireless , maybe this will help.

Best wishes 

Bill

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Barcabod That's the correct behaviour. The TV has to give the precedence to an interface or another, and it chooses the ethernet connection. Which makes sense, since if one goes through the trouble of connecting the ethernet cable it should mean he or she wants to have the TV wired..

In the set of steps to follow to test the WiFi I indicated to first remove the Ethernet cable anyway. It still manages to connect to the WIFI AP though, even if the TV is wired (just tested it). But the WiFi interface will be idle.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Jecht

I hope you dont think I was stepping on your toes.

I dont think I read your reply properly. As you know im green at this stuff, but just wanted to try and give a little back if I could.

You do a great job of helping people mate I will read your replies properly in future😳

Best wishes

Bill

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Barcabod ? No, not at all. What you posted was correct,  I have just clarified how it exactly works.  I know my reply may have sounded a bit direct, but English is my second languge, so I might have difficulties sometimes using the best colloquial style. :wink: