Join now - be part of our community!

Latest Youtube updates does not allow account switching?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Latest Youtube updates does not allow account switching?

Has anyone noticed this, the new version is ok. But how can Google exclude such a vital feature? My brand account has all my subscriptions!

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

This is not an update.

They are killing the YouTube Android TV app and redirecting us to the www.youtube.com/tv site. What is installed on the TV is the Cobalt framework with an automatic shortcut to the site

Its laughable their lack of commitment...

The YouTube app blended into the Android TV UI.

The site, however, is old and hideous...

And yes, it doesn't let us use other accounts . Only the primary. 

Plus no 4k. 1440p only. 

There will be no support for HDR 

This is a huge mess-up From Google to us. We spent lots of money on our devices and believed in the Android but we don't deserve an app? We have to be treated like everyone else? The same freaking site that opens up on my sister's Xbox 360 is this same old crap@# thing!

I am just flabbergasted....

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@sonyfan0012 wrote:

This is not an update.

They are killing the YouTube Android TV app and redirecting us to the www.youtube.com/tv site. What is installed on the TV is the Cobalt framework with an automatic shortcut to the site

Its laughable their lack of commitment...

The YouTube app blended into the Android TV UI.

The site, however, is old and hideous...

And yes, it doesn't let us use other accounts . Only the primary. 

Plus no 4k. 1440p only. 

There will be no support for HDR 

This is a huge mess-up From Google to us. We spent lots of money on our devices and believed in the Android but we don't deserve an app? We have to be treated like everyone else? The same freaking site that opens up on my sister's Xbox 360 is this same old crap@# thing!

I am just flabbergasted....

Hang, so they killed 4K as well and it won't allow HDR? This has to be an oversight, what else can you watch HDR Youtube on? I mean its Android which is owned by Google lol.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Risc0n wrote:

Hang, so they killed 4K as well and it won't allow HDR? This has to be an oversight, what else can you watch HDR Youtube on? I mean its Android which is owned by Google lol.

I am afraid you won't like the answer.. Hate it actually! Here we go:  You can watch YouTube HDR content (from YouTube) on:

1. ChromeCast Ultra
  2. Samsung TVs (since ever)
  3. LG TVs (since a month or so)

I'm not sure if any other device supports it.

profile.country.GB.title
SpookyZeus

Hi,

I had /noticed this very same problem but noticed i could go into the you tube app settings and select uninstall updates. this returned the app to the factory default. you can then select the account to use.

Not sure if it will stay like that or just keep updating itself though?

cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

@Risc0n wrote:

I am afraid you won't like the answer.. Hate it actually! Here we go:  You can watch YouTube HDR content (from YouTube) on:

1. ChromeCast Ultra
  2. Samsung TVs (since ever)
  3. LG TVs (since a month or so)

I'm not sure if any other device supports it.

So an operating system owned and designed by Google has the worst iteration of Youtube that can't play 4K or HDR. What a joke!

@SpookyZeus Yeah, I can turn off automatic updates. Total joke though!

profile.country.GB.title
SpookyZeus

Yes so to clarify, you can roll back the version of tube so at least it works with brand accounts but other than stopping all updates i dont know if you can just stop youtube updating?

We can only hope they change as it does make a mockery of having a smart TV.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

It makes me squimmm. I feel like a 15 year old on a Xbox 360 or a cheap
TCL...
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Risc0n wrote:

So an operating system owned and designed by Google has the worst iteration of Youtube that can't play 4K or HDR. What a joke!

I said you won't like the answer..  :smile:

Yup. That's the sorry state of Android TV. Now Google is even claiming that YouTube on Android TV does not support brand accounts. Which happens when we have multiple YouTube channels, and obviously the wrong one (for many) gets selected. Not only they screw up, they also pretend to claim that they are right.. Multiple channels worked  just fine with the 1.3.11 version.

Regarding 4K/HDR I'd say that the lack of 2160p streaming is all on Google, but the lack of HDR might be in the implementation of vp9.2 in Android 7.0. Indeed the same vp9.2 (HDR) videos downloaded from YouTube play in HDR only with Plex. But they play in SDR with Sony's own stock Video app (which should support everything instead, I suppose).

Also be aware that HDR on YouTube via vp9.2 won't ever work on Sony ATV1 televisions (beginning of 2016 and before). The ones still on Android 6.0.1. The HW doesn't support that profile and it has also been implemented only in Android 7.0.