Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65XH9505 support for different audio formats. Does not output Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, DTS: X Mas

profile.country.SE.title
Lassesu
Explorer

KD-65XH9505 support for different audio formats. Does not output Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, DTS: X Mas

Has KD-65XH9505. Does not output Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, DTS: X Master Audio all converted to Dolby Digital Plus or dts. Uses the built-in app media player (has also tried with other different apps) and hdmi arc for amplifiers that can handle these formats. Have checked the file to be supported. And in the manual, the TV must support the audio formats. Gets the audio formats if connected via hdmi from a computer.

Can't the built-in app play all formats?

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Lassesu 

A computer sending video and audio over HDMI to an HDMI In on the receiver is a different kettle of fish from audio coming over ARC on the back channel of an HDMI Out from the receiver.

I think you need eARC to send those formats intact. Do both the TV and the receiver support eARC, and have you got it enabled on both?

Also, you need an ‘HDMI cable with Ethernet’ to pass eARC. Is the HDMI cable you are using for (e)ARC of that type?

Much good and accurate information here:-

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdmi-arc-and-hdmi-earc-everything-you-need-to-know

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.SE.title
Lassesu
Explorer

I send via HDMI (has the right cable that works) eARC amplifier sony DN1080 with earc.

If I connect the computer via HDMI to the TV HDMI socket, the TV transmits all audio formats to the amplifier correctly via e-ARC. Passtrue. The few settings to make are made.
When using built-in App, it does not work. So why wonder if the built-in App supports all audio formats?

Does it work for you ? Or do you not use this feature?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Lassesu 

Oh, I see what you are saying now. You aren’t talking about plugging the computer into the receiver, you are talking about plugging it into the TV, and getting the audio sent via eARC to the soundbar. That wasn’t exactly clear to me before 😢

So yes, the App then. I don’t have your TV though, and nor your receiver. Maybe use one of the Sony app’s competitors, like VLC, which you can get from the Google Android TV store, see if that is more capable?

profile.country.SE.title
Lassesu
Explorer

It's just that the built-in media app or other type of VLC does not broadcast Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, DTS: X Master Audio.
So my question is can not built-in media app or other apps not broadcast in all audio formats?

If you do not have this TV model, it is difficult to know if it works or not.

Thans for you help

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Lassesu 

What you say about this specific model may not be quite true, as there is likely to be a family of sets using the same media app. But with Android versions, and model year differences, it’s just not practical for me, a volunteer helper and a customer like you, to own more than a couple of Sony Android TVs, from more than a couple of model years.

So while I could lay out the widely applicable issues with ARC versus eARC, and so on, that isn’t your issue here, I now see.

And as I don’t know what formats the apps on your set are supposed to pass or not pass, and to what, I will have to pass on helping here, and hope someone with the same set, and a similarly capable receiver, comes along to help you further.

But I will nevertheless keep watching this thread with interest.

profile.country.SE.title
Lassesu
Explorer

The manual says it supports all the audio formats I mentioned. But when using apps, not all of these audio formats are output. Hence the question.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, I don't think that your TV supports all of these formats either, checked the manual page 7 here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/5013/c7e490b3b9709bca6371ef3c08f047da/50131671M...

Also, supporting certain formats depends on many factors including the developers of the apps who decide if they even support it or not.

Being able to actually out put these formats as you said via HDMI, confirms only one thing.. the apps don't support them.

profile.country.SE.title
Lassesu
Explorer

When I go to my TV page and download the manual, it says the following.
Confirm that you can pass through the following audio formats
7.1 channel linear PCM: 32 / 44.1 / 48 kHz 16 bits
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS
Dolby TrueHD
DTS-HD MA
Dolby Atmos
DTS: X Master Audio
MPEG2 - AAC / MPEG4 - AAC

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/haep1/v1/sv/04-04_04.html?hl=dolby+digital

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If Google translate is right those are the audio codec you can passthrough the earc link not the one supported by the internal apps.....