Join now - be part of our community!

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

Chroma28
Explorer

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

I have a Sony kd55x8509c android tv, I've had it just over a month now.
The setup is a sky hd box run to a hdmi splitter then one feed goes to the Sony and one to a Samsung tv
When both TVs are turned on the TVs display the same 1080i picture correctly, but if I put the Sony into standby mode the picture will stay ok,but every roughly 15 minutes the screen goes blank only for a split second then returns to normal then after a few seconds it does it again maybe once or twice. It then works ok for another 15 minutes but then the same cycle happens again. If I disconnect the hdmi lead from the Sony then fault does not occur.
If the Samsung tv is off and the Sony to is on the problem does not occur.
Before I got the android TV I had a lg and the Samsung and they works perfectly on the same system.
I can only put it down to the sony TV having activity on the hdmi port whilst in standby,is the same as when the device handshakes, it needs the hdmi routine to completely shut down until the TV is powered back on?

i have 3 hdmi splitters ( I've tried them all) and I can see by the LEDs on them that indeed it is the Sony hdmi port that's doing something whilst the TVs is in standby, the splitter shows the Sony seems to disconnect for a split second then reconnect thus the reason for a re handshake and this causes the Samsung to blank. 

I have rebooted the Sony and made sure it's the latest firmware, but no change. Google say it's a problem for Sony and Sony say to reboot the tv. 

94 REPLIES 94
profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

I have the same problem with a 55X8005C.

I also split my Sky HD box via a four way splitter to this heap of junk Sony TV , a Panasonic TV and an Epson Projector. Ironically mine worked for the first four weeks I had it,  however its now a constant problem. Mine also at least once a night will lock up the splitter completely so that the only way to reset it is to either switch off the Sky box, but the problem still persists afterwards, or for a permanent solution is to disconnect the HDMI lead to the Sony or switch it off at the mains.

My set up has worked perfectly for the last 6 years with a various combination of TV's and projectors from Panasonic, Epson and ironically Sony.

At least now with two of us Sony cannot put the blame on another piece of equipment. I have also replaced the splitter with a new one.

Like you I'm getting nowhere with Sony support either by phone or email. I've tried all the factory resets etc.

I also have all the Firmware problems listed on this website which I believe Sony have little chance of fixing because for these 2015 TV's to be this bad there has to be a fundamental design problem which no amount of tinkering with the Firmware will cure. However I'm willing to allow them more time to try until the 2016 TV's hit the streets at which point this TV is going back for a refund as its plainly not fit for purpose let alone the missing features its been advertised as having. 

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

Chroma28

Could you try disconnecting your broadband from your TV, either wireless or wired whatever you have, and see if the HDMI problem we have still exists.

I'm in the middle of changing phone and broadband provider and my phone line was switched off at midnight on Sunday and I'm still waiting for the new one to be activated. Over Monday and Tuesday nights not one single interruption to the splitter / Panasonic TV.

Before I go at it again with Sony, who haven't responded to my last email of eight days ago, it would be good if I could give them more confirmed evidence of the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

Scratch what I said above, it started again last night cutting out every 15 mins.

Chroma28
Explorer

In the end it drove me mad, so had to get a extra multi room (Sky) subscription so the Sony doesn't run though the splitter anymore. It's so stupid as I said before the setup (minus a Sony tv) has functioned perfectly for several years.

i noticed that I had a usb stick plugged into the Sony and when the to was in standby it was still accessing the usb stick, a led on it keeps flashing every so often. So it appears that when you turn the tv off with the remote, all it really does is turn off the screen and the sound, every other system in the to is still running, it needs a true power down option?

profile.country.GB.title
rayben1
Explorer

Hi, I have a KD49X8309 which I have had for 3 weeks now, and I have exactly the same problem, like you I have tried everything to stop this from happening but nothing works. I replaced my trusty old Toshiba 37inch LCD which I had for 11 years with no problems at all, and I had it fed from a splitter for over 2 years and my Samsung 26inch in the bedroom had no HDMI problems, until I got the Sony, now like yours I lose picture and sound every few minutes for a few seconds, then it comes back, unless I unplug the HDMI lead from the Sony or unplug the Sony from the wall. I thought I would update to a nice new Sony 4K all singing and dancing and it is nothing but trouble, I have to power it off and on again almost every day because something freezes or stops working, it's driving me mad, why did Sony market something with so many bugs. If it does not improve soon it will be going back. 

I have been looking for something that will completely disconnect the HDMI cable without having to unplug it every night, but so far I have not been able to find anything. This seems rediculous just to get over a problem which should not be there in the first place.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

What really angers me is that I haven't heard anything from Sony for 2 weeks, phone or email, nor has there been any acknowledgement on here from Sony that its a known problem. To ignore your customers is a sure way to permanently damage your business.

I'm prepared to wait for the next firmware revisions, supposedly February and March. However if they don't cure all the problems and give this TV all the features it has been sold as having then I will demand a new one from the 2016 range. Just sending this TV back for a refund lets Sony off far too easy financially. 

Incidentally the HDMI problem is getting worst, after about 40 minutes last night it was constant flicking on and off. Had to switch it off and talk to the wife, thats not going to last!

On Sunday I had to do 2 restarts and a factory reset just to get it to function as a basic TV, switch on and off when told to, change channel when told to, when it did the right channel would have been a bonus, and a working TV guide would have been nice.

Sunday afternoon I came close to giving in and going to Currys to buy a Panasonic TV, because they work Sony!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

From my understanding, your issues are related to the use of HDMI Splitters to a Sky box feeding multiple TVs.  

If you remove this splitter and have the sky box directly feeding into only the Sony TV - can you confirm if this works?

Cheers

Chroma28
Explorer

1) If I remove the splitter and only plug in to the Sony TV it works fine.
2) if I remove the splitter and only plug in to the Samsung tv it works
fine.)
3) if I plug in the splitter and have the Sony tv on but the Samsung off
everything works fine.
4) if I plug in the splitter and have the Samsung tv on but the Sony tv off
I get the problem of the Samsung going blank approximately every 15 minutes
(it's for a few seconds)
5) if I plug in the splitter and have both the Sony and the Samsung tv's on
at the same time it all works ok.

So the problem only happens as per above number 4 condition.

I have run this configuration for about 5 years now, it was with a Samsung
tv and an lg tv and never did I get this problem the only thing in my
configuration that has changed is I replaced the lg tv with the Sony tv.

I have tried new splitters this makes no difference.
I have also tried different hdmi sourced to eliminate the satellite box,
irrespective of the source the same problem remains.

Thanks
Richard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im wondering if you are picking up some type of EM interference.  This happened with my Freeview signal when i turned on a particular HDMI device.

I attached a few ferrite cores to the power leads and hdmi cables and for me cured my problem.

Have a look into this anyway, as they are reasonably cheap.  You do need the right size for the cable though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016FC066O