Join now - be part of our community!

KODI with 24p and 3D on 2015 Android TV

pavelpl
Explorer

KODI with 24p and 3D on 2015 Android TV

Hi guys,
On polish community page, for more than 1.5 year, people have been complaining about lack of 3D button in KODI. I've done some research and found pre-installed application called PictureModeControl (PictureModeControl.apk). I've decompiled this app and found out that it lists applications that are recognized as "Application (Video)" = they have 3D switch in Action menu and 24p in picture settings. All Sony had to do, in order to allow 3D & 24p for KODI, was to add "org.xmbc.kodi" to that list. As far as I remember they had at least three opportunities to do so, as they were at least 3 software upgrades.

To the point: I've created custom build of KODI (which is based on KODI fork called SPMC). To be recognized as Video app I've used one of names listed in this PictureModeControl app. I haven't release this build yet, because I'm not sure whether I can use some company's package name or not... Is it legally protected? Or it is considered just "some string"? To be honest I'm not impersonating their app (which in fact does not even exist... I think that Sony added some package-names for the future, so that they (or some external company) can release some app without neccesity to release SW update). What I'm certain of: there is a 3D switch in action menu and possibility to turn on 24p in pictre settings. 

I've posted this not to brag that I have better KODI etc. (as soon as I'm sure I can release it, I will!). I just want you to know that SONY made a CLEAR DECISION NOT TO MEET THE EXPECTATIONS OF THEIR USERS - as we can see I was able to enable 3D for KODI, which means Sony could do it long time ago - they JUST DID NOT.

Tested on two 55W809C with the latest Android update (from November 2016).

Have a nice day!

EDIT: Here are some photos as a proof: http://imgur.com/a/Gkgrr

39 REPLIES 39
profile.country.GB.title
jasones

It is hard to do with v.17, but if you will go with v.18 which is still in development you have to change APP_PACKAGE in version.txt and make a full recompile.

________________________________________________________________________You can download the latest final version of Kodi 18 Leia with the support for Sony 3D 24p playback here: https://bit.ly/2GsPYo9
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Leia has been released today. Official announcement and availability over Play Store should follow shortly.

profile.country.GB.title
jasones

Awesome, good to know. I will be compiling Sony 3D Compatible version as soon as possible.

________________________________________________________________________You can download the latest final version of Kodi 18 Leia with the support for Sony 3D 24p playback here: https://bit.ly/2GsPYo9
profile.country.GB.title
FearL0rd
Explorer

@jasoneswhat the package name did you used? I tried one from the list and the 3D option didnt work

profile.country.GB.title
FearL0rd
Explorer

I recompiled the app with a lot of different package names and some install some not but I was not able to have 3d working with the ones that installs 😞

profile.country.GB.title
jasones

Hey guys! So, the Kodi team gave us the final release of v18 and I spent today with compiling the latest and greatest Kodi 18 Leia with the compatible package name so that our Sony TVs are going to show us that sweet 3D button. I verified it on my own Sony TV and it works flawlessly. 

I hope the link won't get deleted, in that case, please send me a message.

Please enjoy!

Download herehttps://mega.nz/#!VwIGTKgB!tJlh9L1lpQpZfVYgk-4gIfjAxQopvWE2lgZ5883wn1M 

If the install button is greyed out for you, please hold the HOME button until task manager shows, then press BACK button, now your install button should be clickable. 

profile.country.GB.title
FearL0rd
Explorer

I just finished compiled mine with wasutv package name and it worked. Thank for the tip 

profile.country.GB.title
petemelyn2

Jasones,i downloaded and installed your modified Kodi 3D however when i go to install a addon or build there are dependancies missing and so installation from the zip file fails.

I have latest original Kodi installed on a device with same build,addon installed and it is working fine,any pointers on this issue,cheers,Pete.

profile.country.GB.title
nemwen
Explorer

I've tried your version, not for the 3d option but for the 24p one.

Picture settings does show it as a Video app now  (like it does with the builtin Video app). But the 24p option is still disabled and the Whitelist in kodi still only shows 1080p@60hz as the sole option.

My TV is TV Sony KD-49XF8577 with Android 7.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The TV never switches refresh rate, not even for "Apps (Video)" apps. The desktop and apps render at 60fps and the display refreshes at 120Hz in case of the XF85. 24p content is rendered with 3:2 pulldown by the app. Set Motionflow to True Cinema and Film mode to High/Auto. The TV will then detect the pulldown, reverse it and perform a perfect 5:5. I performed this test with Kodi and a DLSR to verify.

I also tested it with the stock Video app. The behavior is exactly the same. It never switches to 24Hz. This special build only helps for 3D.

Keep in mind that 24p looks stuttery for many people, also depending on the display type. You can set Motionflow to Custom and somewhat increase Smoothness to mitigate the stuttering. If you don't crank the slider up to its maximum, it won't produce a soap opera effect or too many artifacts.