Join now - be part of our community!

Optimum picture settings to view Netflix Dolby Vision content on Sony A1

profile.country.GB.title
MrJoBangles

Optimum picture settings to view Netflix Dolby Vision content on Sony A1

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is done to death already but I'm struggling to find anything finite or concrete. Firstly I should clarify that I'm using the latest Netflix App on my A1 which has latest firmware. I have a good strong internet connection badged at 100mb but never drops below 29mb.

I get the Dolby Vision logo showing and TV flicks onto the correct auto HDR settings.

Trouble is, picture is terrible for predominantly dark scenes.... any dark areas sort of solarise into a blotchy mess. Gloomy scenes in likes of Daredevil and that new Haunted House show are unwatchable. I have managed to improve things a bit fiddling with the various picture ssttings but given there are literally 1000s of combinations I was wondering if someone had managed to find a decent picture set-up.

It's ridiculous I can get a better Netflix picture viewing in HD via my Humax PVR and I'm hugely disappointed that Sony and Netlix can't pull together and sort out a decent "auto" picture between them for these expensive OLED sets.

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you updated to the latest firmware?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.FR.title
Jobydule

Same here in France. Sony said to me "it's a real problem but no solution. You are a special case." But it's wrong. Lot of people have the same problem....

Sony doesn't assume this issue.

profile.country.DE.title
digitalray

i got the exact same issue here with the XF9005.

Hill House on netflix in Dolby Vision is awful. The Black Levels are grey, the contrast is so bad like when you would turn up the gamma more than maximum, colors are washed out and i get such a huge light bloom effect that even goes over the movie cache areas.

it's far from fun watching it.

i think there is definately a software issue here with netflix dolby vision as other hdr movies in google play run perfect. pitch dark blacks, high contrast, great colors, bright whites, no light blooming in dark areas, only with dolby vision on netflix.

when i change the black level from 50 to 47, i get  the darkest possible black, but it will 1) remove any dark image content and just show it as black and 2) the contrast is still bad and uneven.

There’s a YouTube video of a man watching the movie Bright on Netflix and he gives you settings for Dolby vision that is actually the best picture I have seen for DV. I sometimes tweak what he did for my own preference. 

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

I've seen that there are some Youtubes showing Dolby Vision possible settings.

But are we really supposed to adjust the settings every time we want to want a programme in DV, then revert to default on HD/4k ?

Or is there a way of saving specific settings and choosing a named set set of adjustments 'on the fly' ? ( sounds unlikely. )

profile.country.GB.title
danielangelov91
Explorer

Same here - awful washed out colors!

profile.country.GB.title
SRkirk88
Explorer

I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact same problems on the sony ag8. Any dolby vision content looks awful. on the internal netflix and the xbox one x, especially dark scenes. As soon as switch it to HDR, the picture quality is so much better. I wish o could switch dolby vision off in the tv menu.

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

Cool colour temperature makes a big difference
profile.country.GB.title
SRkirk88
Explorer

I will try the default colour tempreture of warm 2 later. However not only dolby vision content looks bad, I also get a lot of artifacts in the black letter box bars. I don't understand how sony can implement a feature in tv which does not work properly and not let you switch it off.

I currently have a case open with sony over this issue.

But I will try your suggestion later. Would you recommend the default colour tmp?

Thanks.