Join now - be part of our community!

Optimum picture settings to view Netflix Dolby Vision content on Sony A1

profile.country.GB.title
MrJoBangles

Optimum picture settings to view Netflix Dolby Vision content on Sony A1

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is done to death already but I'm struggling to find anything finite or concrete. Firstly I should clarify that I'm using the latest Netflix App on my A1 which has latest firmware. I have a good strong internet connection badged at 100mb but never drops below 29mb.

I get the Dolby Vision logo showing and TV flicks onto the correct auto HDR settings.

Trouble is, picture is terrible for predominantly dark scenes.... any dark areas sort of solarise into a blotchy mess. Gloomy scenes in likes of Daredevil and that new Haunted House show are unwatchable. I have managed to improve things a bit fiddling with the various picture ssttings but given there are literally 1000s of combinations I was wondering if someone had managed to find a decent picture set-up.

It's ridiculous I can get a better Netflix picture viewing in HD via my Humax PVR and I'm hugely disappointed that Sony and Netlix can't pull together and sort out a decent "auto" picture between them for these expensive OLED sets.

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@miscofi  ha scritto:
Cool colour temperature makes a big difference

But it is not correct by industry standard....

profile.country.GB.title
miscofi

I agree it's not industry standard 😃
But users need to know the alternative s
profile.country.GB.title
MrJoBangles

Ha! I see nothing's changed then.... When Netflix increased their prices last Autumn I gave up paying extra for 4K and reverted to HD service. A very tiny part of me missed the HDR picture but I was really pleased to be rid of that garbage Dolby Vision picture....... How can it be right that a HD picture is a million times better than a Dolby Vision picture on a £2K TV? I was sick to death of the issue being unresolved and floating around as a software/app problem as opposed to a hardware issue - whole thing has soured my opinion of both Sony and Netflix.

Funnily enough, NowTV have introduced a better picture/sound on their service (I use a NowTV stick) that you can pay extra for. I gave it a go and blow me, that picture suffers from muddiness too - the "better" picture is worse than the normal picture. Obviously I've cancelled that rubbish too.

I use the Prime app my TV and that has a fantastic HDR picture, This does suggest that maybe it's the NowTV and Netflix software that is the problem I suppose? Whatever, I can't be bothered faffing about wondering who is to blame. One thing, my next TV is NO WAY a Sony, that's for sure.

profile.country.DE.title
digitalray

hi,

my reply from some hours ago got deleted.

it really took me some time to get the good settings together and write a post with explanations to all changes i did.

and now that post got deleted, without any comment or any way for me to get to that content anymore to share it elsewhere.

can a mod please reply to what happened here, as this is no fun taking the time to help others and explain everything and then be deleted without any comment or anything.

thanks.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Unfortunately that won't solve your problem. If you are looking for a real high quality picture streaming services is not way at the moment... just consider that netflix 4K HDR content use 15,2 mbps while an UHD bluray movie can reach more than 100 mbps. Prime video is slightly better (it should be around 30 mbps) while youtube can be far better (over 50/60 mbps)

profile.country.GB.title
SRkirk88
Explorer

Yea ,I currently going through sony support over this dolby vision issue on the netflix app with sony ag8. I even have issues playing through xbox one netflix app as well. Therefore must be an issue on Sony's side. I've sent videos and all sorts of details just waiting to hear back from them, been going on for 3 weeks now.

Strange thing is, my parents have sony xf800 led tv, and their dolby vision picture is perfectly fine if you ignore the bloomming. So I think its software error in my ag8. Probably just needs clean install from a technician. Plus I had an lg oled tv before this and dolby vision content was perfectly fine on that tv.

I have already contacted netflix, about the problem and they state it's a tv issue.

However it will be interesting when disney plus service comes out in the uk, to see if the Dolby vision picture issue persists in that app. If it doesn't, I will definitely be downgrading netflix to HD sub.

But I'm currently using a roku streamstick plus for all my hdr netflix watching.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@SRkirk88  ha scritto:

Strange thing is, my parents have sony xf800 led tv, and their dolby vision picture is perfectly fine if you ignore the bloomming..

Indeed quite strange since XF80 does not support Dolby Vision at all...

profile.country.GB.title
SRkirk88
Explorer

Apologies, I meant the sony xf9005. Getting my model number mixed up.

profile.country.NL.title
Del369

Hey Folks, I can't believe no one has posted this before, and I know that in the Reddit thread people seem to spontaneously combust at the very thought of applying these settings, well when it comes to anything produced with Dolby Vision on Netflix these settings absolutely work, enjoy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/fkeidb/here_are_the_best_settings_for_the_sony_x900f/

profile.country.GB.title
danielangelov91
Explorer

Apart from the noise - everything is perfect! I would only lower the
sharpness to 55. Thank you very much!!!