Join now - be part of our community!

PS4 No Picture on Blu-Ray Playback

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

PS4 No Picture on Blu-Ray Playback

I'm struggling with getting a picture from blu-ray playback on my PS4 at 1080p. The PS4 works fine in menus and games, but when I try and play a blu-ray, I just hear the audio and the screen turns black with a message saying to check the input (or something along those lines).

If I force the PS4 into 1080i, then playback seems to work ok.

I've tried changing HDMI cables around and even buying new ones to make sure that i'm only using HDMI 2.0a cables. 

My setup is as follows:

TV: SONY Bravia 55XD9305

Reciever: SONY STR-DN1040

Launch model PS4

The cables all 2.0a spec and are 3m from PS4 to receiver then 20m from receiver to TV. I used to use a 15m cable with my old SONY KDL-46NX713 TV and blu-ray played back fine then. The 20m cable goes to the ARC port (HDMI4) on the TV so that the audio is fed back to the receiver. I was using ARC fine with the 46NX713 also.

Not sure what else to try at this point. I have hooked up my PC to the receiver and was able to play BF1 at 4K60 with the same HDMI cables so I know for a fact they're up to spec. Because it's just blu-ray playback that's an issue, I am wondering if it's some sort of HDCP issue.... Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
SpookyZeus

Shouldn't the PS4 go to the TV via HDMI then the TV go to your reciever via the HDMI ARC port? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

As its a PS4 and not the PS4 Pro, then connecting the PS4 to the AV Receiver is fine.  However, I think it could be the case of that the AV Receiver is then connected to the TV over a 20m HDMI cable.  A HDMI cable that long introduces errors and signal loss - hence probably the reason why you can hear audio, as its outputted from the AV Reciever from just a 3m HDMI cable.  Also a reasonable assumption is that PS4 menus work OK, because it requires less bandwidth throughput from the HDMI cable than playing bluray content.

Googling this brings up many links, of which a good discussion can be found:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18289900

profile.country.GB.title
tomallen35

Thanks for the replies!

The thing that I find strange is that plugging my PC into the AV Receiver works fine at 4K60 for gaming and YouTube. I agree signal loss could be an issue, but would have thought that the bitrate of the 4K60 feed would be more than that of the PS4 playing a 1080p bluray. The only difference here is that the receiver only does 4K pass through so the PC signal will just be jumping through the receiver rather than being processed like the 1080p signal is.

I have an old 15m HDMI 2.0 cable I used to use and that worked fine. Will try that when I get a chance to see if that makes any difference...

Possibly also worth mentioning that I had to do a factory reset of the receiver not so long ago so not sure if I've just not changed a setting on that somewhere...