Join now - be part of our community!

samba.tv bundled with Android 7.0

adrianc02
Explorer

samba.tv bundled with Android 7.0

Android 7 is a big improvement in terms of responsive over 6 but does anyone know how to permantly decline the samba.tv application? I declined setting it up during upgrade but am being prompted to do so when going into the YouView TV guide after each time the TV has been turned on. I have tried stopping/disabling the application.

cheers

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Further to my above post:

I 'updated' Android from '2602' to '2671', in the hope that this would improve SOME matters, but this then caused another problem that 'Samba Services Manager' repeatedly (non-stop every 15-20 seconds!!!!!!!) pops up a message 'Samba Services Manager has stopped'.

When this pop up is on screen you can't do ANYTHING with your tv except (turn it off or) 'close' then as quickly as possible go to settings etc - while having to 'close' repeatedly every 15-20 seconds. EVENTUALLY I got somewhere so now don't see this popup.

If I had NOT updated from 2602 to 2671, I am sure this popup would NOT have been appearing.

So it seems the ONLY way to stop this 'pop up' - which temporarily/permanently DISABLES every tv remote button (except OFF) but including 'HOME AND BACK', is to go back into settings to 're-enable' the app that I 'disabled' and 'force stopped', after which I then had to open it, so I could 'disagree & disable' AGAIN!!!!

Why should I HAVE to ENABLE something I don't want on MY tv, to prevent it stopping me using MY tv? It is supposed to make a TV BETTER, not worse!!!! 😡👊👎.

If I had any idea that these 'Smart TV's' would be designed to 'work' like this I would never have bothered. As it is my 'smart tv boxes' are streets ahead (of the TV) for Ease of Use & functionality of their GUI's & Apps, plus quality of Wifi & Ethernet connections (despite the slow speed of of my b/band connection).

I now use 'Amazon Fire TV' devices on my Smart & NON Smart TV's.

The design & functionality of Sony & Samsung 'Smart' TV GUI's are awful.

The Samsung model is even worse than Sony since most apps I tried on it (other than most 'free UK TV' Catch up TV apps) don't even launch, never mind 'work as well as' a drunk, blind, asthmatic, arthritic donkey with two legs missing!

Blessings & Peace to all

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Thank you 'iabord40' for the Kudos 👍

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Sorry,

That should have read 'thank you iaboard40'.

First_Knight

profile.country.GB.title
GJS852
New

This morning, despite having previously declined to enable the Samba service, I too started getting the repeated Samba pop-up upon turning on my Bravia KD-65A1 Android TV - only stopped (between repeated pop-up) by going into the App settings menu. What’s doubly annoying is that a scheduled HDD recording appears to have been cancelled by the TV part-way through to allow the Samba notification and its attempted setup.

The experience of this Bravia Android TV is turning into a real love/hate scenario - the picture quality is amazing but the Sony/Android OS is frustrating in the extreme. Sony seem to have gone so far with the OS and then got to a point where they decided ‘that’ll do’, have given up and walked away - there are numerous bugs and unnecessarily complicated ways to do things and it’s just NOT intuitive - e.g. just try stopping a current HDD recording.

I cannot understand how Sony think it’s acceptable to have to choose whether to have recording capabilities OR catch up services, but not both - catch-up services only work if enabling YouView, but this disables the HDD recording. The one exception that doesn’t need YouView, BBC iPlayer, won’t work if a HDD recording is in progress. And why sell a TV that has a dual satellite tuner that will tune to satellite services (by default as part of the set-up process) but not properly support Freesat and its EPG? Bizarre!

And the bloatware - WOW! I thought my VAIO laptop was bad, this TV takes bloatware to the next level! No doubt, in time, as with the laptop, I’ll find ways through experimentation, community postings and information gleaned from other websites that will allow me to disable/remove these unnecessary apps/programmes, but for the moment the out-of-box experience is seriously compromised due to the cluttered menus and ‘laggy’ behaviour that I guess is due to these apps/programmes running in the background.

Sony themselves seem completely disinterested in addressing these issues - I’ve yet to come across any reply posted by the company that gives any assistance or guidance to any of these, and other reported issues - I’ve taken to posting on Twitter to try to elicit a response but even this has, thus far, been in vain.

Sony, SORT THIS OUT!

Initially, I really wanted to see what Samba TV is...

So.. I have agreed for averything... gone to samba TV website to download the app... and then...

WHAT A F%^£*&"£&)£*&£^%"_&*()...

the app only available for iOS... 

This has to be a F^^£&*()(*^&"£*)(&£ joke to implement the service in Android TV available only on iOS.

If I want iOS I would by Apple TV, and not Android TV... for F&£^&£^&*^£&*£^ sake....

Screw you SONY... the first and last product (at least TV) I have purchased...

And after update the TV is less responsive and more laggy than before update...

Do a factory reset you will say... F&^*&%^*&^*&^%... not again... I am sick and tired of setting up everything again...

You could do setting export and import at least... as we have to do a factory reset so often...

profile.country.GB.title
scooby000
Explorer

After disabling the app, did you turn off notification at the bottom? Its worked for me.  (KDL65-W855C)