Join now - be part of our community!

Sony AF8 turn on from standby issue

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

Sony AF8 turn on from standby issue

I've updated my Sony AF8 to Oreo and I now have the following issue. The tv wont wake up from standby in the evening but if I turn off/on at the wall it powers on? What's even more strange is that it only happens in the evening.

For example, I watched tv last night and turned it off using the green button on its remote. Just tried this morning and its turned on but I know that when I go to turn it back on this evening it wont work. Will have to turn off/on at the wall and back on.

I updated the tv using the usb method on Sony's website and I downloaded the software from it as well.

Has any one else come across this issue?

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I am experiencing the exact same issue with Oreo right now. Same happens when rebooting the TV sometimes via long power button press. The TV just stays off and does not come back on. In this state, it consumes only 10W. Just like when I come back in the evening. I think what happens in standby is that it also reboot due to flaky wakeups at night, also staying in this weird state.

Maybe we can find some similarities. Anything special in how you use your TV? AVR connected via ARC? USB devices used?

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

I don’t know what's changed but the tv is now turning on and off ok? The only thing I did was unplug it at the wall for ten minutes and since then its fine.

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

I spoke too soon. TV would not come on from sleep last night or again this morning. To answer your question, I have a Sony sound bar connected using ARC, Apple TV v4 and a SKY Q box connected with hdmi. Also a wireless keyboard usb adapter. It was all working fine until I updated to Oreo?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I factory reset mine and haven't experienced the issue ever since. Looks to be a sporadic thing...

@TudRich  schrieb:

I spoke too soon. TV would not come on from sleep last night or again this morning. To answer your question, I have a Sony sound bar connected using ARC, Apple TV v4 and a SKY Q box connected with hdmi. Also a wireless keyboard usb adapter. It was all working fine until I updated to Oreo?

I have a pretty similar setup, except for the Sky Q.

HDMI2: Apple TV 4K

HDMI3/ARC: Teufel Cinebar 52 THX

USB1: dongle for wireless keyboard

USB3: Samsung BAR Plus 128GB formatted as device storage

After the reset, I left away both USB devices because I found drivers to be flaky sometimes. I will add them back one by one eventually to see whether it changes the behavior or not.

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

When you did the factory reset, did it install the original tv software or Oreo?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Downgrading Android TV is not possible. So it is still Oreo.

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

I will give it a go later and take the usb adapter out for now.

profile.country.GB.title
kevtuck
Explorer

Hi. Did you ever manage to resolve this issue?

I am getting the same problem since upgrading last week.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
TudRich

No, I still suffer with it. On average have to turn the tv off at the wall once a week. I have noticed its worse when we have warm weather? Done 2 factory resets but that didn't solve it.