Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD-65AG8 Internet issues

profile.country.GB.title
cameronag12
Explorer

Sony KD-65AG8 Internet issues

I've seen various posts about various Sony TVs with WiFi problems, so I've turned off WiFi on my set.  Now it won't even connect reliably over a wired connection!

Every other day the ITV or STV apps complain that there's no internet connection.  Initially that seemed to be resolved by switching off IPV6 on my router.  Why should I have to downgrade my router's performance to get my TV to work?  Everything else on my home network has no such problems.

Now the TV is just randomly checking out of the network.  Even a restart doesn't get it working, it needs its complete network configuration re-done.

TBH I've had enough of this TV.  It's given me grief since almost day one.

1. YouView disables HDD recording

2. Disabling YouView to enable HDD recording disables all the TV network apps (ITV Player, UKTV Play, etc.).

3. WiFi connection unstable

4. Wired connection unstable

5. Menu command switches from satellite to terrestrial tuner and doesn't go back.

6. No pause-live-TV function

7. Cannot use apps (Netflix, Prime, BBC iPlayer) while recording 

and the rest.

Anybody want to make me an offer?  Would make a nice coffee table...

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Did you try to connect the TV to another WIFI network, like a personal hotspot using your smartphone.

Maybe the issue is from the router itself, give it a try.

profile.country.GB.title
cameronag12
Explorer

It's on a wired connection, not WiFi.

Every other device in the house, all 43 of them, is perfectly happy with the router so I don't think that's the problem.

And another thing to add to my complaints list:

Enabling YouView disables satellite reception.  *****!!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@cameronag12 

Do you know where you could get a set of VESA-mounting coffee table legs?

So, OK, this is a 2019 model, whose status I am not entirely sure of; presumably you have checked for updates, both directly over the internet and available for USB download, and applied them?

What you describe above sounds like about where these Android TVs were at launch, in 2015. Ours lasted three days, until a family revolt forced me to move it to my study and put something sensible in its place; though to be fair that was very early days, only days from launch, and there were a lot of other extraneous issues then. But all the recording/pause/satellite/players/YouView issues you mention are what we had back then.

Sony and YouView changed how the associated players work for 2020, so you don’t need to be in the YouView side to get itv hub and All 4, and nor do you need to have a terrestrial aerial, and tuned from it, to get them now. But the quid pro quo seems to be that YouView now supply the BBC iPlayer and My5 apps, which were independent before.

Sony also finally added Freesat, and also made YouView less invasive, so you could just toggle between Freeview and YouView (if you could find it under its new name of ‘Live & Catch-up TV’) instead of crossing the great divide like you used to.

Some of this was going to be back-ported to some 2019 sets, apparently, but it doesn’t sound like you have this.

If not, you can still get all the players on the non-YouView side, though; look up Hoshsadiq on the internet for his fix for this.

My view is that if you want YouView, get a YouView box with its full YouView capabilities, and get your TV on its merits as a TV. (Which, if your priorities are PQ, PQ, PQ, leads back to Sony anyway).

The Samsung we bought in 2015 when the Android TV fell down on the job is ageing a bit (the BBC iPlayer declines to let us have 4K on it) but still going strong on the kitchen/diner wall, and now augmented with a Roku Stick for that 4K; we have gone OLED, which Samsung don’t do, with an LG GX now in the lounge (which still needs augmenting with another Roku for All4 for goodness’ sake).

And Sony? Well, the Sony sets in John Lewis still beat out the LGs for PQ, though we reluctantly bypassed them, knowing their beauty was only skin-deep. And that Android set from 2015? Also still going strong, at our son’s, teething troubles over and only the fundamental Android and YouView strategy flaws still extant; and being overcome by? You guessed it, yet another Roku Stick 😀

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…