Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD55AG9 - Youtube App stops playing videos and TV needs a reset.

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Sony KD55AG9 - Youtube App stops playing videos and TV needs a reset.

We bought this TV at the beginning of the year and love it. However we seem to be experiencing an ongoing issue. At least once a day when we go to play a youtube video from the youtube app on the TV - any video, the video will play about a second and then stop. I can go back to the youtube menu and navigate the app but all the videos perform the same. The only way for me to resolve this is to do a reset of the TV by holding the standby button, selecting reset and then starting the youtube app and all is working again. 

I have tried everything I can think of. When exiting youtube I press the back button all the way back to the TV home menu, as there is no exit button on the TV youtube app. I have tried going into settings - apps - force stop - clear data - clear cache for the youtube app and it has had no effect. I have also done this with all the other apps before doing this and this has had no effect. 

Yesterday with gritted teeth I restored the TV to factory defaults and this morning the TV done the same thing with the youtube app. It doesn't do this with any other app.

The firmware installed on my TV is v6.3598 and all apps are set to auto update with an LAN cable plugged into the back with no internet connectivity issues. So I am stuck as to what is causing the issue as a reset is the only solution at the moment that temporarily fixes it. 

Any help appreciated.

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.NL.title
Moepkid
Explorer

Did you have any news yet? I am experiencing the same issue on my ZF9 after the 3598 update. Before that there were no problems at all. I am also experiencing it in the netflix app.

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Sony contacted me today with quite an exhaustive list of questions and steps to take. I responded as best I could. I have never seen such a list before, right down to which MAC address am I using and what’s my ip. I got the impression they thought it was my internet connection but nothing else is effected and as it’s a wired connection I unplugged it test to on a laptop and it’s perfect. For me it’s only the YouTube app affected on the AG9, nothing else. They also asked me to video the fault which I will do when it occurs (it’s intermittent and I can’t recreate it). I’ll wait and see what they say.

profile.country.NL.title
Moepkid
Explorer

Hey!

I just had an answer to my post today.

https://community.sony.nl/t5/android-tv/zf9-connection-issues-after-android-9-update/m-p/2757486#M43...

Turns out a new update is on the way :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Thanks for the response. That’s good news, unfortunately I don’t think the AG9 is on the list just now for the update. 

Sony got back to me again with the exact same email they sent yesterday. So I have sent the information again and if they post a solution I’ll make everyone aware here.

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Thanks Moepkid for sending me that. I had a look at the link here:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-z9f_zf9-series/xbr-65z9f/downloads/00016704

It looks like Sony are well aware of the issue but only releasing an update for some models. The rep who is dealing with me never cracked a light. I hope they do something soon to resolve this issue for all models affected by this.

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

I had a look on the Sony American website. I went into their OLED models and as their names are slightly different I chose which I thought was my set and went into to the support page for the XBR-55A9G. It has a new firwmare update available v6.3624 and the first thing the update addresses is:

"Fixes an issue where YouTube™ cannot play content after being launched from the home screen" quoted from the firmware update page."

Would someone be kind enough to tell me if the XBR-55A9G is the same as the KD-55AG9? I figured different countries might have different model names. Also what is the typical wait time for an update if it has been released in another country to then be released in the UK?

profile.country.NL.title
Moepkid
Explorer

Yeah it's the same. For me I have the KD version.

I think it takes about a month seeing the Android 9 update also took that long. This update has been release about two weeks ago, so I think (not sure) it will go up in about two weeks or something?

I can't confirm it though.

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

I got word back from Sony last night to say they were working on a fix for the issues I was experiencing and they would be releasing an update soon. They asked me to keep an eye on my TV sets download page through the Sony website for any available updates. 

I checked this morning and a new firmware is available for my set along with several others. It was not available through the automatic check facility on my set yet. I followed the instructions on the website to update my set manually. All went well and the update installed successfully so hopefully this will be an end to my issues. 

It didn’t say this on the website but to be safe and protect my flash drive I always try and find an option to eject a drive once I have finished with it. For my set this option was buried in settings - device preferences - storage. Choose your flash drive and select eject. Only do this once you are sure your TV has completed installation (details on the update page).

profile.country.NL.title
Moepkid
Explorer

hey!

the issues are gone? I still have some issues from time to time with youtube not loading or netflix.

profile.country.GB.title
PSP_RK
Explorer

Yes the issues are gone for me. I must have tried every solution I could think of before upgrading to the latest firmware. It could be something else I did helped in combination with the above. One of the last things I did was a full factory reset. This is a pain though as you lose all saved settings. When this didn't work it was a few weeks later the latest firmware came out and then I upgraded.