Join now - be part of our community!

SONY KD55XE8596 - Picture Quality

profile.country.GB.title
Lucas712
Explorer

SONY KD55XE8596 - Picture Quality

I recently bought the KD55XE8596 to upgrade to 4K TV for my Xbox One X, after setting it up and trying to watch Nexflix in 4K, the image seems very blotchy, like you can see individual pixels flicker, I have tried changing the picture settings but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing, if anyone could offer any advice on settings it would he very appreciated. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Hi Lucas,

Welcome to the Community.

Are you just having these issues using the Xbox One? Have you had a look in the display settings on the Xbox to see if it's set up correctly? It should auto detect the settings but it's worth having a look.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Drew

profile.country.GB.title
Lucas712
Explorer

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the Xbox settings and they are set to auto and the 4K settings tick all the boxes, the image quality also appears to not be great when I watch normal TV and use the YouTube app through the TV itself. It looks no where near as "crisp" when I viewed it in the store.

Thanks,

Lucas

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Lucas712 Have you tried with the Netflix app in the TV? Also from there it is possible to see the quality of the streaming pressingthe "i+" button. I'm quite sure there is a button for it in the Xbox controller as well when you watch Netflix from the console. If it doesn't go to 2160p it means that your network is slowing it down. You must be sure that you have at least a 16-20Mbps internet connection (the max Netflix bandwidthis 15.26Mbps). You can measure it from fast.com in either Xbox or television web browser (I'd check from both).

If the bandwidth you get from those tests is quite lower than your real internet bandwidth, and you're connecting via WiFi, be sure that you are using WiFi at 5GHz. Or even better use ethernet cables.

Also a couple of things: Netflix picture quality is far from great. And HDR should be currently broken in the Xbox One X. I have read a fix is coming, and is currently on beta testing.

profile.country.GB.title
Lucas712
Explorer

@Jecht_Sin Thanks for the reply.

Tried with the TV and the stream is 15.26 Mbps /2160 but the quality still isn't great.

I have an older model of this TV, it was 1080 and even that quality was better, it's disappointing spending so much on this TV when the picture quality is poor, is there a present for the image setup that can make the picture better?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Lucas712 Well, then it may depend on TV show you're watching. I have a 49XD8099 and after customising a bit my picture settings the Netflix videos in UHD are good, a bit less in UHD HDR, especially in the dark scenes.

As a matter of comparison you should check if the 4K videos in YouTube look good to you. Remember to go into the Stats for Nerds to check the current resolution. If they are at 3840x2160 and still they look ugly you should try different picture modes. Just scroll between Personal/Cinema Home/Cinema Pro/Sport etc. 

I mean, the HDR in Netflix can get quite poor (no doubt about it, we are in many complaining, no matter the TV model), but in UHD SDR they usually look good and if they don't, at 1080p, for example streaming via PS4, they look even worse. Instead the YouTube 4K videos (check the demos for LG, TCL, Sony etc) are usually just amazing.

Also I am watching some TV shows in Netflix at 1080p (like Suits) and they just look great. The upscaling in the TV (and mine is a lower model than yours) does a great job.

profile.country.GB.title
JoshDog107
Explorer

I have had the KD55XF8786 since June (£1099 on special at PC World) and it's the most disappointing picture ever.

I have set it up using the PC World HD blueray disc to no avail. I have factory reset the thing 4 times and tried again but the picture tends to look dark for indoor scenes, and like a dull day for all outdoor scenes.

This is regardless of the medium I am watching. Makes no difference watching netflix on Tivo, PS4, or on the TV's android app. I puropsely upgrade my VirginMedia subscription to the new V6 Tivo box and the HD channels are certainly not up to my old Sony non 4K TV.

I have ordered the Spears and Munsil set up Blueray, so if this makes a difference I will let you know, bt I'm convinced I have a faulty TV.

I have complained to Sony, sending them digital pics of the display, to be told "the phenomenon shown on the pictures is considered as within the specifications of the TV".

Never again Sony.