Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD55XE9005 unavailability of HBO GO

profile.country.CZ.title
Tomas_Pazourek
Explorer

Sony KD55XE9005 unavailability of HBO GO

Hello,

I have subscribed to the service of HBO GO in the Czech Republic. The service works fine on any device, on which it can be installed (mobile phones and through web browser any PC). However, when I try to find it through the Google play app installed on my TV, the search does not give me any official app from HBO.

I have gone through this forum and seen the previous posts (from Bulgaria) about this topic from a year ago. I can cast HBO GO via my mobile, but I do not consider it a convenient option, and I would like to be able to have HBO GO app installed on my Sony EX9005.

Is there any way for me to break the region block from Sony? Since HBO GO is available in my country and HBO GO can be downloaded in other (western) regions of Europe on the very same TV model as I have, I presume that contacting HBO would be pointless since their service is available on other manufacturers TVs in the Czech Republic.

Thank you

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Tomas,

I'll see if I can track down an answer. Maybe someone else in the community has an idea in the meantime.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.CZ.title
Tomas_Pazourek
Explorer

Hello Pascale_F,
I am afraid that there has not been the SW update, which would emend the problem which still stands. I am not really receptive of Sony's strategy of imposing regional locks on certain apps, which are not theirs/developed by Sony, which would otherwise function well. But should you find any applicable answer, I will be very glad.
Thanks,
Tomas

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

What if you try to sideload the app?

profile.country.CZ.title
Tomas_Pazourek
Explorer

Hello zet0ner0,
by sideloading, you mean trying to download HBO go for Android TV from some unofficial site (since google play does not allow for downloading this app on other than TV devices) and then installing it via USB stick to the TV? I do not really have any experience with sideloading, and I am not sure whether the TV even supports installing apk files from USB (or other uncertified locations). Since I have no experience, would you be willing to write down a short manual for me?
Thanks
Tomas

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Tomas,

There is no need for complex instructions to install HBO GO on your TV.

1. You navigate to the Google Play Store on the same device that you have used to install the HBO GO app already from the Google Play Store.
  2. Login with the same account as the one your TV is logged in to Google services.
  3. Then search for the app there and make sure that in the title it says for Android TV.
  4. Click the install to device button. That will automatically push it to your TV and install it for you.

The reason why you will not find the HBO GO app in the Google Play Store app of your TV is not due to Sony. It also is not due to Google. It is purely the app owner that decides on which regions they would or would not allow to publish their apps. As I am sure you already know since you most probably have a friend or family member abroad (perhaps in the US), activating and viewing HBO GO requires an active cable subscription to their channel. I am not sure about the Czech Republic, but if there is no cable provider that offers HBO there, it will be logic that there is no point for HBO to offer the app in the Google Play Store in your country.

I am not entirely aware of how HBO manages rights for their subscribers viewing abroad. But since you mention that you can view their offerings on a device you already have at home, I suppose that there are no restrictions in place and after installing the HBO GO app on your TV you can enter an activation code and start viewing. Otherwise it might be that even after all that work, the HBO GO app will simply not be able to connect due to regional restrictions in place by HBO.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.CZ.title
Tomas_Pazourek
Explorer

Hello dutchice,

that I have tried, unfortunately unsuccessfully. When I try to reach the app (through the PC, for apps listed on the mobile device are only compatible with phones and apps listed on TV are only compatible with TVs), it is written that: This app is incompatible with all of your devices (Sony Bravia 4k GB being listed as one of them).

Since the app is accessible for me, there must be no region lock by Google (I know of many apps which are inaccessible for me, because I live in the Czech Republic and they are not listed on Google for me) and since HBO GO Android TV can be installed by my friends on their TVs (other manufactures than Sony) which were bought and are being used in the Czech Republic, the region lock cannot be made by HBO either (also HBO is in the Czech Republic provided either by a cable subscription or by subscription directly to HBO, the latter which I have).

So strictly by induction (abduction?) logic, if the app HBO GO for Android TV is accessible for me through Google play (but incompatible with my devices) and the app can be installed on other manufacturer's TVs in the Czech Republic, I cannot but assume the problem to be on Sony's side.

Thank you,
Tomas

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@Tomas_Pazourek wrote:

Hello dutchice,

that I have tried, unfortunately unsuccessfully. When I try to reach the app (through the PC, for apps listed on the mobile device are only compatible with phones and apps listed on TV are only compatible with TVs), it is written that: This app is incompatible with all of your devices (Sony Bravia 4k GB being listed as one of them).

The reason why you read it saying "This app is incompatible with..." is because your search results in the Czech Republic are not returning the correct HBO GO app for Android TV.

Here is a snapshot of the results returned in a country where the HBO GO for Android TV app is available on the Google Play Store (US). Note the app is the first app from left in the top row, called HBO GO Android TV:

US.JPG

and here is a snapshot of the results returned in a country where HBO GO for Android TV is not available on the Google Play Store (CZ). Note the app from left on the top row is not the app compatible with Android TV:

CZ.JPG

So as I already mentioned. The app owner is here responsible to publish the app in regions where they want it to be available.

I advice you use this direct link to find the HBO GO for Android TV directly: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hbo.go then follow the steps I mentioned in my previous post to install it on your TV.

Keep us posted,

Dutchice

profile.country.CZ.title
Tomas_Pazourek
Explorer

As I was saying, the app is incompatible with all of my devices, therefore, the installation is impossible.
So even when I would like so much to do so, I cannot do anything. Is there anything more I can try?

Thank you dutchice for being so responsive!HBO_GO.png

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

@Tomas_Pazourek wrote:

Hello zet0ner0,
by sideloading, you mean trying to download HBO go for Android TV from some unofficial site (since google play does not allow for downloading this app on other than TV devices) and then installing it via USB stick to the TV? I do not really have any experience with sideloading, and I am not sure whether the TV even supports installing apk files from USB (or other uncertified locations). Since I have no experience, would you be willing to write down a short manual for me?
Thanks
Tomas

[FAQ] – How To Sideload Apps on Android TVs