Join now - be part of our community!

[FAQ] – How To Sideload Apps on Android TVs

Anonymous
Not applicable

As you may be aware, on your Android based Sony TV there is an app for Googles Play Store.  This lists all the apps that have been through Googles certification program on compatibility for use on the Android TV system.

Unfortunately the quantity of apps in the Google Play TV store is rather lacking compared to the full Play Store available on your Android Smartphone or Tablet.  To over-come this you can ‘sideload’ an app that is not officially certified for your Android TV.  Please note that many apps simply cannot be side-loaded either for various reasons.

Listed below are 5 ways in which you can side-load these apps:

1. Installation via a computer - HERE
  2. Download .apk file from PC and using ES File Explorer on TV - HERE
  3. Using X-plore and Google Drive - HERE
  4. Using File Commander and Google Drive - HERE
  5. Using ADB commands from a PC - HERE

Note:

In order to install and run sideloaded apps, you firstly need to do two things:

1. Enable “Unknown Sources” – In the Security and Restrictions menu of Settings
  2. Install “Sideload Launcher – Android TV” in order to run the apps you have sideloaded. This is available from Googles Play store : HERE
  3. Some sideloaded apps have the orientation fixed to either Portrait or Landscape.  You can correct this by sideloading an app called "Set Orientation"

PS: Please send me a private message if any corrections need to be made or you have instructions on other ways to sideload apps so I can add here.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 – Installation via a computer:

In this demonstration, I am going to install “Sideload Launcher – Android TV” via a computer web-browser.

Step 1:

Load up your web-browser on a computer and go to : https://play.google.com/

Step 2:

Search for “Sideload Launcher – Android TV” – You should get to this web address : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher

Step 3:

Click on the green [INSTALL] Button.

Step 4:

If you are not logged into Google Play Store it will now pop-up with a login screen. 

Step 5:

Choose your TV from the drop down box provided and click on the green [INSTALL] button.

02 - Install Pop-up window.jpg

Step 6:

The following screen will now be displayed.  Simply click on the green [OK] button and wait a few minutes. 

03 - Install OK box.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 - Download .apk file from PC and using ES File Explorer on TV

In this example, I am going to demonstrate how to install Google Chrome using an .apk file via ES File Manager

Step 1:

Download the Google Chrome .apk file.  A good place to find .apk files is: http://www.apkmirror.com/ and transfer the .apk file to a USB drive.  I chose the ARM version of Google Chrome.

Step 2:

Install ES File Explorer on the TV by going into the Play Store on the TV. 

Step 3:

Insert the USB drive into one of the TVs USB ports.  A message on the TV screen will ask whether you want to open ES File Manager – select OK

Step 4:

Navigate your way to the USB Drive under the Local side-tab.  Once you have you should see the .apk file you transferred to the USB drive, in this case com.android.chrome…..  Simply click on the file and select [INSTALL].  A second pop-up message appears, select [INSTALL] again.

Step 5

Once Google Chrome has finished installing.  You can either click on [Open] or [Done].  Normally you would run Sideload Launcher in order to run Google Chrome.

Anonymous
Not applicable

3 – Using X-plore and Google Drive

In this example, I am going to demonstrate how to sideload “Set Orientation” by placing the relevant file on Google Drive and using X-plore to install is.

Step 1:

Download the “Set Orientation” .apk file.  .  A good place to find .apk files is: http://www.apkmirror.com/

Step 2:

Log into your Google Drive account and transfer the “Set Orientation” apk file to it.

Step 3:

Install X-plore from the Google Play Store on the TV

Step 4:

Load X-plore from the apps menu.  On first run you will need to ‘Allow’ X-plore to access photos, media and files.

Step 5:

On the left hand side of the screen you will need to navigate to “Web storage” and click on “Add server”. 

Step 6:

Choose Google Drive from the server list.  Another pop-up window will appear for you to allow contact.  Choose “Allow”.  After a few seconds the TV should add your Google Drive account to the TV according to the account that is already setup on the TV.  (Note: You may have to click on “Add server” again, but once you do your account will then appear)

Step 7:

Navigate your way to the file on your Google Drive and click [OK].  An installation message will now be displayed on your TV screen.  Select [INSTALL]

Step 8:

Once Set Orientation has finished installing.  You can either click on [Open] or [Done].  Normally you would run Sideload Launcher in order to run Set Orientation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

4 - Using File Commander and Google Drive

In this example, I am going to demonstrate how to sideload GMAIL by placing the relevant file on Google Drive and using X-plore to install is.

Step 1:

Download the gmail .apk file.  .  A good place to find .apk files is: http://www.apkmirror.com/

Step 2:

Step 3:

Install File Commander from the Google Play Store on the TV

Step 4:

Load File Commander from the apps menu.  On first run you will need to click “Continue” to accept terms etc.   Once you have done so, another window appears to add locations.  Choose “Cloud”

Step 5:

Another pop-up window will appear for you to allow contact.  Choose “Allow”. 

Step 6:

Select Google Drive from the list.  You will be given the option to choose an account – it will be the account already set on the TV. 

Step 7:

You will need to click [OK] to allow this app to view and manage files in Google Drive.  Once clicked, you can then go into “My Drive”

Step 8:

Navigate your way to the file on your Google Drive and click [OK].  An installation message will now be displayed on your TV screen.  Select [INSTALL]

Step 9:

Once Gmail has finished installing.  You can either click on [Open] or [Done].  Normally you would run Sideload Launcher in order to run Gmail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

5 - Using ADB commands from a PC

Sideloading Google Chrome as an example.

Step 1:
Download and install ADB Tools for Windows/Mac/Linux from : https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html

Step 2:
Enable ‘Developers options’ on the TV.  HOME > About >  and press [OK] on ‘build’ 7 times.  A message will be displayed on screen saying that developers options have been enabled

Step 3:
Enable ‘ADB Debugging’ on the TV.  HOME > Developers options > Debugging > ADB Debugging

Step 4:
Download the Google Chrome .apk file.  A good place to find .apk files is: http://www.apkmirror.com/ and transfer the .apk file to a USB drive.  I chose the ARM version of Google Chrome.  Note: I also find renaming the file once downloaded handy, as it saves a load of typing when installing

Step 5:
Open up your command prompt

Step 6:
Command: adb connect <IP Address of TV>

Step 7:
On the TV select "Always allow this computer' and select ok.

Step 8:
Command: adb install xxx.apk

Example:

adb install.jpg

If you have a load of apps to sideload and you factory reset your TV than you care to do - you could actually script this for automatic sideloading.