Join now - be part of our community!

SWF-BR100 stopped working after Android 9 update

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
88Paul

SWF-BR100 stopped working after Android 9 update

Can anyone help?

After the recent update to Android TV 9.0 on my Bravia KD-49XD8305 it appears it will no longer support the dongle that connects to the Subwoofer. It has worked perfectly for the last few years with other updates to the OS.

It will now not sync with the subwwofer, what ever I try to do. I have reset the TV, reset the USB sender/dongle and the Subwoofer too, all with no sucess.

I have read on the USA community board someone else has had the same problem. I doubt I will be able to roll back to Android 8, so waiting on a fix from Sony I guess.

Unless someone has a fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

53 REPLIES 53
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey, I've checked the new update's info, nothing mentioning anything related to your issue. If anything, it's adding tot he USB specs. I would say disconnect everything and reconnect from the beginning as if it's a new connection. I would also suggest to do a factory reset (TV side).

profile.country.GB.title
88Paul

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have tried a complete TV reset and restarted the TV without the subwoofer transmitter plugged in to the tv. Then plugged it in as if its the first time and still nothing, What I have noticed is that when I insert the dongle/transmitter there is a brief flash of a red LED in the end of it, then nothing more!

I have even brought the subwoofer really close to the TV too, all with no sucess.

Looking around, I dont even seem to be able to pick up a replacement transmitter in case it is has gone faulty. 

Is there anyone who also has one tell me what the status light is displaying (Red/Orange/Green) on the end of the transmitter?

Any other ideas from anybody?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@88Paul 

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/accessories-television-projector-accessories/swf-br100

There are two manuals here, largely the same so read the later one, and some Q&As that seem relevant.

It looks like amber means you are making a specific link between dongle and sub, which if you don’t have multiple ones, perhaps isn’t necessary.

Reading up on it, I’d be very surprised if the USB connection does very much more than power the dongle, so if the Android update has done anything to affect this unit, it would likely be interfering with the subwoofer out function of the socket the jack plugs in to, so you might want to try plugging something else into that socket, headphones maybe, to see if it is still emitting the desired sound.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
88Paul

Thanks for your reply.

I have had a look at the manual you suggested.

When I try the 'secure' connection method, the amber LED does not flash as mentioned in the manual.

I do notice that when the transmitter is plugged into a USB port on the TV, the Subwoofer settings appear in the settings menu and can be adjusted as if it is working. (So maybe it does do a little more than just supply power)

When trying the headphone socket, this is working fine as a headphone port, it is changed to a subwoofer port within the menu settings when using a transmitter for the subwoofer. I can't hear anything from the audio port when in subwoofer mode, but then again maybe my headphones dont have that frequency response, so that doesn't really prove a lot.

I'm begining to think the transmitter has failed when the update to Android 9.0 was applied to the OS, as it was fine before the update.

Anyone have a spare UWT-BR100 to link with the SWF-BR100 (Sub)?

Or any other ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@88Paul 

Yes, it does look as though the TV detects the dongle. Regarding the transmitter not working, there may be a sound problem, but does the sub turn on when you turn on the TV, like it is supposed to?

That would at least show that the transmitter was doing something.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
88Paul

There is no change from the Subwoofer when the TV is turned on, the illuminated button stays RED.

This is what makes me think there is no communication from the Transmitter,

Out of interest, when I search for Bluetooth devices on my phone I can actually see the SUB as a connectable device, however I cannot see the Transmitter, just the regular bluetooth for the TV's remote etc!

Its pointing more and more to the transmitter/dongle being faulty!

IanMagson
New

Im having exactly the same problem after the update. I’ve tried tv side reset to factory. Didn’t work. 
Any luck with yours?

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, I'm not sure what would the update have done to the dongle, I searched for it for you and found it on EET group: https://www.eetgroup.com/en-gb/a2009350b-sony-dongle-sub-assy-uwtbr100-wid-w124642955

Something changed on their website too, so you can use the part number: A2009350B  to look elsewhere, or give them a call.

profile.country.GB.title
88Paul

Hello Ian

Unfortunately I have not resolved the problem. It is as if the update has done something to the transmitter that plugs into the TV. Why it would have done, I do not know! 

When you plug the USB device into your TV, does yours just briefly flash RED, then do nothing else?

Mine does not follow what the instructions say it should do anymore.

All I know is that all was fine before the update and now it doesnt work......

I have raised this with Sony themselves and had an acknowledgement that my case has been passed to as department to look into further, however, I've not heard anything more yet.