Join now - be part of our community!

TV causing internet router to lock up all connections

marc.knuckle
Explorer

TV causing internet router to lock up all connections

hi. i recently lost all internet access through both wired and wireless.

after 2 virgin media engineer visits they diconnected my 3 wired connections from the router and we finally got internet access working.

so today i started trouble shooting which of the 3 connections were causing the issue.  please see below for info.

keep in mind a few things.

there were 3 connected devices. with various possibilities. i have listed the equipment and then a 'no' if i found it wasnt causing the issue

1)sky tv box? no. ethernet connecting it? no. ethernet port on router? no. the system stays fine with the sky connected, with its old ethernet cable and in the same port.

2) main pc? no. ethernets? no. homeplugs? no. house wiring? no. ethernet port on router? no. with the pc connected as before with the ancient house wiring bridging the connection it still works fine.

3) brand new sony bravia android based smart tv? YES! i tried a different ethernet and port and it still stopped the internet for all devices, wired and wireless.  when i disconnected the ethernet coming from the tv it started working again. i then went into the tv's setting and connected by wireless and so far so good. (i only connected with a wire originally in case the system was more stable such as when needing to do updates).

So....for some reason the tv is causing the problem but only when connecting through ethernet.

any thoughts definitely welcome as i may in future need to connect with a ethernet.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi there

Did you try different ethernet cables ?

Did you try a different router or a bridge connected on your router(wired or wireless)?

marc.knuckle
Explorer

i tried another ethernet cable and it was the same.

the virgin engineer did try a different router and it was the same.

so it would seem it was definitely the tv

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Seems like hardware fault

I have not tried wired connection yet. I just use this http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-10_RE210.html

beside my TV set and connect wirelessly.

marc.knuckle
Explorer

Wireless is fine, the tv has wireless built in so don't need any other device but I'd like to get this sorted in case it causes other problems. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It seems like you have done the relevent troubleshooting (i.e. diferrent cable/router/port).  Before ruling a hardware fault, i dont think you have mentioned if you have done a factory reset of the tv?  Also ensure you have the latest firmware installed.

Cheers

marc.knuckle
Explorer

havent done a factory reset, that could have remedied it but not sure.

it does have the latest firmware and possibly this is what caused it as it happened only a few days after the newest firmware was released. i presume i didnt get the update the day it was released and that would tie in with the day it started going wrong.

could the tv be doing a similar thing to how a ddos attack pulls down a website? sending too many something-or others?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard to know whats going without some type of traffic analysis.  My router gives me some general basic info on each device/protocol etc.  Does yours?

Either way, factory reset it.  It just might fix the problem.  See instructions HERE

Cheer

zevbn8
Explorer

Was the problem fixed? I am having the same issue

Planetming
Explorer

This has just happened to us, again. Our hard connected KD-55XD8599 locked-up my entire home network.Looks like there is continuous data flooding the local switches as the data lights were going mad.

My daughter reminded me this happened once before. Tried restarting the router and various switches around the house. Eventually tracking the problem down to the TV, even though it was in standby. Powering off and on again, our home Wi-Fi and network now works again.

Based in the UK. TV is running the latest firmware.