Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to turn on 3D mode

tim2525
Explorer

Unable to turn on 3D mode

Last week I installed the new firmware (version 3179) on Bravia KD-55X8509C to fix the problem with slow remote control response.

Since then I have been unable to select 3D mode (either side-by-side or over-under). It appears to select it, but when you go Back it turns it off again.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have reported this to Sony Customer Support  but all I get is stupid emails asking me to do a factory reset, disconnect external devices, install latest firmware, etc, etc.

Tags (1)
77 REPLIES 77
profile.country.GB.title
jasones

Hey guys! So, the Kodi team gave us the final release of v18 and I spent today with compiling the latest and greatest Kodi 18 Leia with the compatible package name so that our Sony TVs are going to show us that sweet 3D button. I verified it on my own Sony TV and it works flawlessly. 

I hope the link won't get deleted, in that case, please send me a message.

Please enjoy!

Download herehttps://mega.nz/#!VwIGTKgB!tJlh9L1lpQpZfVYgk-4gIfjAxQopvWE2lgZ5883wn1M 

If the install button is greyed out for you, please hold the HOME button until task manager shows, then press BACK button, now your install button should be clickable. 

________________________________________________________________________You can download the latest final version of Kodi 18 Leia with the support for Sony 3D 24p playback here: https://bit.ly/2GsPYo9
profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

Nice!! I will try later when I get home. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
petemelyn2

Does this mean that 3D content from Kodi will be recognised by Sony 3D TV ?
Further guidance on the link you posted would be appreciated,ie what
exactly do we do with it regards instalation plse.Cheers.
profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

Make sure your tv is not in 4K mode. 3D is only transmitted in 1080p or less. This is a common error. Please update

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
jasones

The link I provided is an Kodi installation package. You have to enable unknown sources installation in the settings of your TV to install it.

What I typically do is, that I install file manager called X-plorer from the playstore, through which I locate the downloaded .apk file (either on USB stick or network drive) and click on it, which will start the app installation (if the install button is greyed out for you, hold HOME button on your remote so you enter multi-tasking and then press BACK button, which will bring you back to the installation with Install button enabled). After the installation is complete, you will find Kodi shortcut between all your apps in the launcher. 

This modified Kodi version will make Sony TV think it is a proper media player application (which it is) and enable all the benefits. The TV won't recognize 3D content automatically, but once you open a 3D movie and then press ACTION MENU on your remote, you will be able to turn 3D on, as the option will be there.

I have no problem with the playback of 4k content and 3D content through Kodi without changing the resolution, which I do not even think is possible, so just try it out and see for yourself :wink: 

________________________________________________________________________You can download the latest final version of Kodi 18 Leia with the support for Sony 3D 24p playback here: https://bit.ly/2GsPYo9
profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

Ok are we talking about kodi directly from the tv or android box or any other media player? I always have issue playing 3D movies from kodi directly on my tv...

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
petemelyn2

Thankyou for the input,will defo give it a go,cheers.
profile.country.GB.title
jasones

We are of course talking about the Sony TVs as we are in Sony forum. We know there were issues with playing the 3D, that is the reason I compiled this version, where all the issues are resolved. Give it a try and see for yourself.

profile.country.GB.title
Flexx05
Explorer

Thanks for your reply. So let me simplify my issue. When I connect a source (Xbox or android box) the option works just fine. When I try to use an app on the tv, for example I use stbemu to play my movies. There is a section that’s for 3D movies. When I play a 3D movie the option for 3D is gone. So am asking can we use an app to playing or 3D movies or do we have to use external connection.

profile.country.US.title
QB8Young
Explorer

That is great but I use Plex to stream my 3D movies. How do we get 3D working in that app?