Join now - be part of our community!

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

So, apart from not being able to write on disk which is not formated as internal, even the one that is formatted as such is unusable becuse it keeps disappering from the system.

And the only way to get it back is restart.

It happend a few times already and it seems that it is related to standby time.

EDIT: So, this happens only in REC port on my 50W75C. Solution is to use any other port.

82 REPLIES 82
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you try another USB drive by any chance?  This is to rule out a fault with the USB drive itself.

Cheers

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Tried 3 of them already, same thing. The ony currently plugged is almost brand new SanDisk 64GB USB 3.0.

I checked yesterday evenenig before going to bed and disk was there. I turned on the TV now and I can see the name of the disk but that's all. No info on free space and no way to access it from file managers and apps are complaining abou missing SD card.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

I restarted TV at 10:40, disk was there. Turned it off. Now it's 12:42 and the disk is gone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I'll see if I can replicate this on my TV - will get back to you.

Cheers

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

meanwhile I'm gonna try port 3.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hiya

I have connected a Sony 16GB USB drive into USB1 on my TV (KD-55XD8577), and has been formatted for additional storage.

Other than rebooting the TV, do you have any pointers or details for which I can use to replicate this problem, or is it entirely a waiting game in a seemingly randomised fashion?

Cheers

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

In port 2 it was just waiting with TV turned off. And I had that a few times so it was more like a rule than something random.

Now I turned it on with disk in port 3 and it seems fine. I'm gonna try again in port 2 and 1. This must be reliable because it easily breaks everything.

I don't know if you missed it, but can you also check this https://community.sony.hr/t5/android-tv/writing-on-usb-disks-impossible-on-marshmallow/td-p/2297578

edit: and while we are at this, trying to grant permanent USB access to any of the file managers usually breaks things so disks become unavailable.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

and while we are at this, trying to grant permanent USB access to any of the file managers usually breaks things so disks become unavailable.

I can confirm that.

I also tried to use an USB 3.0 32GB ADATA pen drive as adoptable storage but it failed migrating data to it. It pretended to move data for hours until I manually stopped the process. Everything was still 0Byte. So nothing got moved.

Thanks to @kinggo01 and some other guys in the Kodi forums I now figured out how to use non-adoptable storage for timeshifting in Kodi.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@Kuschelmonschter

but the funny thing is that they actually have access already. If we ignore that grant asking popup everything works just fine.