Join now - be part of our community!

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

USB formatted as internal storage keeps disappearing

So, apart from not being able to write on disk which is not formated as internal, even the one that is formatted as such is unusable becuse it keeps disappering from the system.

And the only way to get it back is restart.

It happend a few times already and it seems that it is related to standby time.

EDIT: So, this happens only in REC port on my 50W75C. Solution is to use any other port.

82 REPLIES 82
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Yes. I have 50W75C. So 1 is on a side, 2 is for recording and 3 i right next to it. But I'm not sure that it's 3.0.

edit: It is still here in port 1 after almost 10hrs of standby. It seems that only REC port breaks it. But will do some more testing.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

OK, I put my pen drive on USB port nr. 3, which is the USB REC port for my TV, and formatted it as internal storage. Let's see.

USB port nr. 3 is a USB 3.0 port on my TV which is fed by a different controller.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had my USB drive formatted as internal storage in USB 1 for 2 days now, and cannot replicate issue. 

If issue is only present in USB 2 - HDD Rec, then logic say to use another port?  Keep USB 2 dedicated to HDD Rec only?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I now tried it over night on USB3 REC port of my HDR set. No problem here.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

And I lost it again overnight in REC port.

@Anonymous

Sure. But at at time of starting this thread that was not obvious. And since you can format USB in any of the ports and use them in any of the ports, even so, you can use 3 of them at the same time, I didn't know that REC port is specific in any way when it comes to internal storage. Unlike recording.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@svansvan wrote:

I was just about it:

on the Russian site, some people no longer see the flash after new firmware.
helped the following:
program rufus with the setting of "Driving section and the type of system interface" - MBR for computers with the BIOS or UEFI
https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

-----

I apologize if I did not essentially

I am sorry, but still it isn't clear. Which is supposed to the best partition table format to use, MBR or GPT? Because I currently have a Flash USB key and an USB HDD, both formatted in MBR/exFAT and both are still recognised (since yesterday) by both the Settings and X-plore (a file manager).

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Ha! Now I lost it too. So after 2 days. Mine is connected to the USB 3.0 REC port. Was wondering why certain apps were not showing anymore on the Home screen. So I went into Settings > Storage & reset and the ADATA pen drive was not showing its size anymore. So same problem as @kinggo01. So it is for real...

Even replugging the pen drive does not fix it. TV has to be restarted.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

I found out there's no need for restart. If it goes missing in REC port (which inevitably does), unplugging and plugging into another port brings it back.

profile.country.NL.title
hija31

Sony f****d this one good.

If i mount USB as internal storage it keeps disappearing, and if I mount it as external there are no writing permissions.

I'm pretty pised of.

I don't understand how can one big company like Sony which is familiar with Android, mess things up so badly when it comes to Android TV.

The problem occurs in both ports:

1 & 2.

KD-55XD8599

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I found out there's no need for restart. If it goes missing in REC port (which inevitably does), unplugging and plugging into another port brings it back.

Sounds like the USB port just dies. I assume this to be yet another severe MediaTek driver issue.

I saw an interview with some MediaTek guy the other day who said that they are perceived as a hardware company whereas in fact they are actually doing so much more software. So they consider themselves being a software company. Yet they produce such *****ty drivers...