Join now - be part of our community!

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

USB recordings are jerky when played back.

I've added a comment to the FAQ's on USB recording as someone over there has mentioned this problem, but I feel that this warrants a thread of its own.

Having got to grips with how to record onto a USB drive I am finding that the replayed images are very slightly and subtley jerky. What might be a smooth zoom in and out, or a pan left to right on the original broadcast is replayed as if there is a random dropped frame every few 10's of milliseconds. It is subtle but hugely annoying and renders the USB record feature useless imo. The problem is identical on recording both HD and SD broadcasts.

There has been another identical report of this on a different model over in the FAQs section with no outcome or resolution. None of the TV settings appear to satisfactorily correct this problem.    

83 REPLIES 83
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Thanks for trying this. Yes, I can confirm that rolling text on news channels is jerky when replayed.

That would be great if you could report this, many thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

I have added this to the list of bugs/issues:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2278002#M15181

And have also reported this issue to Sony.  In the interest of troubleshooting, can you please list the models of the TVs you have and the make/model of the HDDs or USB drives that you have tried.

Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Thanks very much for doing that. My tv is kd55x8005c. The issue occurs with
every recording device, SanDisk usb, tdk usb, Kingston usb, (all 64gb) wd
my passport 500gb drive (which I think is the one that Sony recommends)
Seagate 500gb drive, Toshiba 320gb drive and Samsung 500gb drive. I'm
beginning to suspect these tv's just aren't capable of recording without a
judder and a lot of people don't even notice it, but I hope I'm wrong.
Anonymous
Not applicable

THanks @Garymjh

I never noticed it before until I was experimenting with something else - I normally have YouView enabled (hence no recording facilities).  So when recording a short segment on BBC, I noticed the bottom ticker-tape - and then remembered this thread.  But I honestly couldnt see juddering on the video.  But will try on other things (i.e. football as you said).

My TV = KD-55XD8577

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Ok thanks. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to be a frame rate/ motionflow issue. If I have motionflow set to 4 (almost on full) on live tv the picture slightly breaks up as motionflow is too high. On watching a recording of the same bit of tv with motionflow at 4 however there is no picture break up and much less judder. It's still not as smooth as live tv though. Motionflow shouldn't be needed at all as it's just not necessary for live tv broadcasts and shouldn't be needed at all for recordings of tv broadcasts.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Thanks for taking the case up.

Drives used:

1/ An older 320Gb USB2 drive under the CnM brand.

2/ A USB3  320Gb drive. This was from a Dell laptop (that I fitted an SSD to) and I made a spare USB drive from the original using a Dynamode USB3 caddy/enclosure. The drive was a high performance 7200 rpm TOSHIBA MK3261GSYN

3/ A new SanDisk 64Gb USB3 'Flair' flash drive.

All three give identical symptoms.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

As well as just reporting this issue here I also filed a support case with Sony. From the replies so far I get the feeling this issue is being swept under the carpet.

Questions asked by Sony have included wanting confirmation of the type of 'broadcast' used, have I updated to the latest firmware, have I done a factory reset.......

Latest response has included asking whether I have tried a separate HDD recorder and if so whether that is OK. That is not the point though. USB recording is a big advertised feature, and its hard to believe this problem escaped unnoticed in the product development.

I wish I had tried the recording before updating the firmware. Maybe its a problem that has been introduced. I just get the feeling that this either isn't go to get fixed anytome soon, or even if it is going to get fixed at all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Linking to this thread too:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/kd-55x8505c-picks-delays-judder-from-hdd-recorded-movies/...

I also noticed the juddering when watching the Cricket Highlights on BT Showcase (CH59), but my camera (non-Sony) doesnt capture this well at all.  Maybe someone else can upload a demonstration clip of something too?

Adding demonstration video of judderyness on BBC tickertape.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I tried it from day one about a year ago and the problem was there then.
They won't fix it as hardly anyone has reported the issue. They've also had
a problem of the Sony tv video app not displaying wide screen films
properly for over nine months which they've also not addressed at all. If
either issue was on their phones they'd resolve it in days. They don't seem
to give a fig about any issue with android tv.
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Thanks for the link to the other thread. It's becoming clear that the issue is actually quite widespread even if it's not been reported by masses of people. The vast majority of people probably never even try hdd/ usb recordings but I suspect if they did the issue would be there. I suspect a fix would be quick and easy for Sony but they won't address it let alone fix it. The complete lethargy towards issues with tvs is baffling to me. If the picture quality wasn't so superb I don't think I'd buy another Sony tv.