Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
profile.country.GB.title
cjguk1970

They've been delayed and are expected to be made available by future software update, no date for this yet though. Most retailers have now updated their spec pages to reflect this. John Lewis were even offering a free Fire Tv stick to anyone who preordered a TV once this information came out so they could have access to the catch up services.

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

That is horrific?! That like selling someone a car and then delivering it without an engine and then saying "oh dont worry we will send you one of those soon... cant commit to a date though" 

Its fundamental miss selling and surely breaks a load of EU / UK trade laws?

profile.country.GB.title
cjguk1970

Agree totally and has stopped me buying the tv, seems ridiculous that I would need to use a 3rd party dongle just to get basic uk catch up services. Similar thing happened last year with LG TVs with freeview.

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

I have spoken to their customer services and requested a call back from a manager.. they acknowledged the issue and said there was nothing they could do to help and that an update "should" .. not "would" be launched sometime in 2021 when / if they get the agreements in place to add the features they sold the TV as having.

They suggested i return the TV and get a refund if i wasn't happy with that...

Wont ever be buying a Sony TV again!!! And suggest others avoid this brand as they obviously dont care about their customers at all. 

profile.country.GB.title
cjguk1970

Will be interested to hear what the Manager has to say, I think the whole launch of this TV has been a mess 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, I've contacted Sony support myself asking the same question, the official statement I got was " Currently, these applications are not available on our BRAVIA TVs. Applications are expected to be available during 2021. "

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

I have finally spoken to a manager of a manager who has admitted it was incorrect of Sony to list the TVs on their UK site as having features that they do not (i.e. Youview + catchup apps etc).

They have said that the features are not available due to legal issues / agreements, however will be coming at some point in 2021 (they hope by cannot give a firm date).

They noted that for a premium tv like this it is not acceptable and also in breach of trade descriptions and they have now offered me compensation to mitigate.

I suggest everyone with this issue gets in touch with SONY CONSUMER RELATIONS (not Sony customer support who were useless until the matter was escalated out of their hands).

This issue effects all sony 2021 tv apparently and they have refused to update their website to suggest the features are not available and are in fact coming sometime in 2021! 

profile.country.GB.title
cjguk1970

I'm surprised they are still advertising this as having all the catch up apps, most other retailer have now put some sort of message to say they are no available at the moment. It's a bit like the issues LG had last year, the apps slowly appeared but took nearly a year (don't know if they are all even available still), I wouldn't be surprised if this happens with Sony

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@cjguk1970 

And I have the £40 dongle that Curry’s supplied for £10 with our new in 2020 LG TV to prove it!

The itv hub is now present, but All4 and My5 still require firing up the Roku Premiere sticky-taped to the bottom edge of the LG.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…