Join now - be part of our community!

YouView - How it Works

Anonymous
Not applicable

YouView - How it Works

Hello all

You have probably seen the announcement from Sony stating that YouView will go live on 4th November on certain 2015 TVs.  See article HERE for information.

There are many questions you all have, so I thought id post some screen shots taken from HERE

Also see Sony's Online Guide:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/100280 

_20151023_165838.JPG

_20151023_165404.JPG

_20151023_165124.JPG

_20151023_165524.JPG

_20151023_165457.JPG

_20151023_165923.JPG

33 REPLIES 33

Good news regarding a work around for the lack of a YouView reminder setting. You can use the 'Video &Slide View' App to program reminders from it's TV guide. As well as using the App as a handy backup virtual remote from anywhere on the same local WiFi LAN.

Still evaluating YouView (as a newbie to it).... I resisted activating for a while but it seems useful and will stick with it for now.

KD49X8305CBU 4k 49" Bravia.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

Thanks for info, do you know whether the Youview app will work with the tv? Cheers 

The app allows remote recording on the YouView box only, and will not work for the TV even when YouView can record (if that ever happens now), as far as I know.

However, I do recommend that everyone downloads the YouView app, on Apple or Android devices, as it works completely standalone to provide the 7-day backward and forward EPG to you, with the ability to click/tap on programmes in the backward EPG, those that show the whirly symbol, and have the app launch the relevant Player on your device and show you that programme.

Disappointingly, it will not link to the current live programme that way, but you can always pick a past programme and then adjust the started Player to show you the live programme.

This way of doing things is especially recommended to satellite users, who would otherwise be locked out of YouView.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@paudanie8 wrote:

Pity I don't have an aerial in the back of my TV. I only have HDMI. 

Which model of TV have you got that does not have an aerial socket?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@f1racer2006 wrote:

Will this be available to pre 2015 models too?

No, the Android series only started in 2015. And even 2015 and 2016 sets, if they are not Android ones cannot run it.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

How do I uninstall/disable this Youview app if say I was unhappy with the slow ui and no programme reminder? Not only does it knock out satellite services but also the standard freeview guide, which was quick and had programme reminder.  The only benefit I can see is you have all the on demand players well not quite all of them 'ay.

As for Enable in the first post in this thread, but say NO.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Fraser67 wrote:

Can anyone explain why installing YouView disables the satellite services etc? Seems very odd to me.

I think (though don't quote me on this) that the combined footprint of YouView and satellite would be greater than the memory allocation that Sony provide for these services. So one or the other has to go.

But I have asked YouView for an explanation, in vain, and no doubt Quinnicus has found Sony similarly tight-lipped about this.

Satellite users might also do well to bemoan the lack of the FreeSat EPG.

Our lips, on these matters, are merely pursed, of course.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@piers1269 wrote:

I have a KD-49X8308CB which does not appear on the list of 2015 Bravia 4K tvs in the YouView update. I bought the TV in Spain but have it here in the UK so according to the 1st part of the Sony communique it should be eligable for the update: "Sony and YouView are pleased to announce that from 8am on Wednesday 4th November, the YouView service is available on Sony BRAVIA 2015 Televisions, making BBC iPlayer, All 4, ITV Player and Demand 5 available to all Android television sets with Internet access. "

How can I get the update as it's frustrating only being able to watch iPlayer through the Googlecast app?

Spanish TV does HD over DVB-T, and does not need the DVB-T2 that UK HD works over.

i found this out the hard way bringing a Samsung TV back to the UK; even though I switched it for the UK, necessitating a trip into the Engineer's Menu, I could not get any HD channels as there simply was no DVB-T2 tuner in these Spanish models. So I took it back to Spain...

You may be luckier with your set of course, if Sony haven't value-engineered the T2 tuner out of the set.

All this is bye the bye as regards your stated problem, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Regarding your stated problem, we now know that Sony releases are downloaded according to how your IP address appears to their download engine, and your then-current release will have been a Spanish one, and not triggered an automatic update to the apparently out-of-region UK-only release.

However, on your next check for a release, which you will perhaps have had to make manually, the Sony engine should have re-evaluated your IP address, found it a UK one, and so then downloaded a build with YouView in.

if not, you might need a chat with the Engineer's Menu to UK-ise the set a bit more deeply than the regular menus allow. I've no idea if you need to do that on these Sonys though, or even how you would go about it.

Have you got the YouView interface now?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@aik1000 wrote:

Do you know why do I have to disable the Satellite to get YouView?

I bought the TV believing I could have Satellite for live TV and catch up on YouView - extremely disappointed given the money I have just spent.

Thanks

See my unfounded speculation about footprint, above.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Fernando44 wrote:

Hi there, 

I have a Sony Bravia with Youview built in. I don't have any aereal antena to connect the television, I got only the cable that connect the Virgin Media Tivo to the socket. So I though I could set up the app just connecting the TV to the router by two Powerlines adapters.. but unfortunately it doesn't work. Is there any solution for this without buying a satelite dish?

Many thanks guys,

F

YouView is a bit more than an app - it's a replacement for the whole Freeview EPG, and more. But like that EPG, it works on broadcast - aerial - channels for live TV.

You can get the four Players though, but you do need to have tuned in at least one channel by aerial beforehand. Though you do not need an aerial connected thereafter, except for any retune you might need to do after a Factory Reset.

But like Quinnicus, I wonder what it is you want to do that you can't do with your TiVo box?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@apoc.reg wrote:

I have youview enabled but ITV player is missing lots of content, no emmerdale, x factor etc etc.

Just get a error message when i select it through the guide and it doesnt appear in the app itself under A-Z.

Could this be a regional issue? I note it says limted content in scotland. I'm actually in cambridge so shouldnt effect me but I'm at a loss to explain it..!

Thanks

There were some misfires initially on the regional restrictions on ITV, with YouView thinking that some determinedly UK IP addresses and/or regional aerial choices were in some Caledonian enclave.

But these should all be resolved now. Is your ITV player now OK?