Join now - be part of our community!

YouView - How it Works

Anonymous
Not applicable

YouView - How it Works

Hello all

You have probably seen the announcement from Sony stating that YouView will go live on 4th November on certain 2015 TVs.  See article HERE for information.

There are many questions you all have, so I thought id post some screen shots taken from HERE

Also see Sony's Online Guide:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/100280 

_20151023_165838.JPG

_20151023_165404.JPG

_20151023_165124.JPG

_20151023_165524.JPG

_20151023_165457.JPG

_20151023_165923.JPG

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Apologies for Gillivrating (the practice of replying to old postings months, or even years, later) here, or rather apologies for never seeing this thread in the first place; I don't know how it slipped under my radar, as I especially monitor matters regarding YouView 😞

But there are a number of newer/better/corrected/extended answers that can be given to several of the posts here, so I have popped them in; better late than never, I hope.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Boblivermore
New

My Sony TV has youview built into it.

ive tried to connect the iPhone app but it won't connect . Any tips ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Boblivermore wrote:

Hi there

The app for the iPhone is not made for Sony's TVs unfortunately.  The app only works for YouView recorder boxes. It also states this in the app description on iTunes.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Quinnicus wrote:

@Boblivermore wrote:

Hi there

The app for the iPhone is not made for Sony's TVs unfortunately.  The app only works for YouView recorder boxes. It also states this in the app description on iTunes.

Cheers

Hi

What Quinnicus says is true regarding any interaction between the app and YouView on the Sony TVs.

However, used standalone, the app is an excellent EPG, and one on which you can tap any programme that has the Play (arrow in a circle) symbol, and this will start the relevant catchup Player on your iPhone (first offering the download if you don't have that Player app on your iPhone) find the programme, and play it to you.

I commend it to everyone in the UK (it only works if it determines you are in the UK), YouView users or not.

The only thing you can't do at present is Play the live programmes. But I have requested this, for a later release; and the workaround is to use the most recent playable programme on that channel to start the relevant Player, and then switch to the live programme.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking