Join now - be part of our community!

Can't download video from DCR-TRV33E camcorder

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
richard.fullerton
Explorer

Can't download video from DCR-TRV33E camcorder

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and I have managed to connect my DCR-TRV33E miniDV camcorder to it via a PCI card and firewire. All good. But I can't download my taped video to my laptop via PMB - there seems to be no version for it on the Sony downloads page. I am trying to update the PMB for my Cybershot DSC-W200 but can't seem to for my camcorder. So I've tried my Ulead Video Studio 10 editing software. That won't capture the video which seems to be a fault in that program. The Ulead DVD wizard related to this seemed to work and I did capture some video but it is temperamental.

So I am trying to find out what I can do to get my video onto my laptop. Any ideas? The firewire obviously works although I can't see my camcorder as a drive in My Computer. 

Thanks

RF

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Richard.

I think most people use the free Windows Movie Maker software to capture via the firewire connection.

Give it a try and come back if you still have problems.

:wink:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Richard.

I think most people use the free Windows Movie Maker software to capture via the firewire connection.

Give it a try and come back if you still have problems.

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

I’m sorry Richard

But I think it isn’t possible with Sony’s freeware software. Take a look here. This is the link of DCR-TRV33 (Usa version, but, I think it’s the same even with DCR-TRV33E) Sony US Support DCRTRV33 driver

As you see “The USB streaming feature is not supported with the Windows 7/8 operating system” (I think just only for Sony’s freeware software)

Windows 7/XP Starter and XP 64-bit are not supported

Windows Vista compatibility link here Sony US support Vista comp. camcorder

I think that the solution is only an alternative Video Editing Software.

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Richard,

I assume you are aware USB streaming is not supported as you are trying to connect using the DV cable.

As I said, use Windows Movie Maker as iLink compatibility is tested using this software.

Follow these instructions: -

1. Turn on the digital camcorder by moving the POWER switch to the VTR position.
  2. Cue the camcorder to the beginning of the video.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Start the video capture software on the computer.
  5. Begin playing the recorded video in the camcorder.
  6. Begin importing the video with the capture software.

richard.fullerton
Explorer

Hi Blencogo

Thanks for that. I downloaded the Windows Movie Maker and imported the files ok. The only problem is that the 6:9 widescreen seems to have been squashed by the Video Studio 10 software - I haven't had time to look at it in detail yet but it appears that the ratio has been returned to 4:3 or whatever the standard setting is but not in proportion. But thanks for the tip re WMM.

R

richard.fullerton
Explorer

Thanks, yes I see that. But someone recommended me to use Windows Movie Maker and that seems to have worked in terms of transfer to PC.

R

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Richard.

There is a setting in WMM under Tools -> Options -> Advanced to set 4:3 or 16:9.

This changes the viewing preview window but it also changes the aspect ratio set when the movie is published to DVD or computer file.

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Sorry Richard, sorry Blencogo.

I’ve seen “download” and “PMB” and answered about this.

First, I think that’s not possible “download” movies from a miniDV camcorder to a PC via PMB or via PMH anyway (using USB or i.link streaming). Second, with Win7 and DCR-TRV33E USB streaming is not possible.

Blencogo is that right?

One miniDV 60min cassette has the capacity of 13-44 GB of data non compressed (lossless)!!!

Most Video Editing software edit-compress movies directly , by “capturing” in streaming (even analog movies) and saving compressed files at once. Quicker results but if it’s an error (like image format error) or you are not satisfy with the results or you want to edit again those files, there are only two ways. Edit on compressed lossy data or “capture” once more time in order to edit on uncompressed lossless data. Like the problem you have (16:9, 4:3). Now to convert it, or you “enlarge or stretche” compressed files image or you must do a new capture with new parameters.

Those, better (Video Editing software) ones, use to “download” movies data first and then edit (uncompressed lossless data).You can change(edit) everything before compress data. When the results are satisfying you, and only in that moment, you convert movie into a compressed file. Better quality and results.

I don’t know in which category is Windows Movie Maker (I thing first one) and Ulead Video Studio 10 (I think second one).

If that’s true I prefer and recommend the second one.

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)