Join now - be part of our community!

Converting DCR-DVD108 .vob files to mpeg

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sedona1048
Visitor

Converting DCR-DVD108 .vob files to mpeg

Hi,

I have a Sony DCR-DVD108 camcorder which uses the mini-DVDs. When finalized it converts the files to .vob format. So far I have been playing them back on my Sony DVD palyer or directly on TV without any problems. However, I would like to upload some of them to YouTube for private viewing by my friends. This format is not compatible with the YouTube. Also have tried to use the Sony PMB software but I can't even view the .vob files in it. I know you can get converters but I don't want to spend the money for a converter for such a small project. Some of them say it's free download but when you convert the video they put their ad in your video every ten seconds. So it's not really free.

Is there another way?

Thanks.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello sedona1048 - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

You'll be please to know that there are actually some free solutions available to download. YouTube tends to be pretty good for a range of file formats so as long as a free convertor handles .vob to .avi/.flv/.mov conversion (amongst others) you should be able to convert these files without any serious loss in video quality.

One possibility is called Convert VOB to AVI and it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.convertvobtoavi.com/download.html

As it is labelled as 'freeware', you won't get any of the annoying time limitations and 'watermarking' that you will find with free trials. Like I said earlier, there are other free options available as well and I would suggest doing a Google search for 'Convert VOB to AVI Free' to see what is around.

Hope this helps you get your videos onto YouTube!

Simon

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello sedona1048 - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

You'll be please to know that there are actually some free solutions available to download. YouTube tends to be pretty good for a range of file formats so as long as a free convertor handles .vob to .avi/.flv/.mov conversion (amongst others) you should be able to convert these files without any serious loss in video quality.

One possibility is called Convert VOB to AVI and it can be downloaded from here:

http://www.convertvobtoavi.com/download.html

As it is labelled as 'freeware', you won't get any of the annoying time limitations and 'watermarking' that you will find with free trials. Like I said earlier, there are other free options available as well and I would suggest doing a Google search for 'Convert VOB to AVI Free' to see what is around.

Hope this helps you get your videos onto YouTube!

Simon