Join now - be part of our community!

FDRAX 700. HDR 2020.Reds not correct

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

FDRAX 700. HDR 2020.Reds not correct

On the Picture Profile 10,HDR 2020 the setting does not reproduce red correctly if this is the main part of the image.Taking video of London Buses and the red has an orange/ pink tinge

Switching to Rec 709 or taking stills is fine. 

Is the camcorder faulty( one week old)

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

Thank you Nic.The changes to the Gamma only make slight differences.Is there any settings regarding the colour available(eg chart) that I could use to get the colours correct since by correcting red I will upset other colours.If Sony are to be believed then setting option 10 should get me the correct results since they conform to the same standards as my TV but in the real world this is not the case.

I have contacted Sony regarding this issue and they are investigating but have never heard of it before!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

it still seems to me that you are not understanding what a LOG profile is and how the color spaces rec 709 and bt 2020 differ.

What I can tell you though is, that your camcorder is not broken from what I can tell.

I am sadly no native english speaker, so I struggle to explain to you better why the colors looks off if you switch to bt 2020 - I will try to find an article or a video which can explain it to you.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

2020 gives a far wider range of colours than 709 in my understanding .I do not see how it is changing a colour on the factory preset.Surely customers would not be buying them with HDR 2020 on board if there were these issues?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

did you set up your TV correctly, so it will interpret the bt 2020 signal correctly?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

The TV plays 4K Blu Ray without any problems.

I will await the response from Sony but I think that there is someting wrong with the imaging chip when recording 4K HDR with 2020 colourspace.I have not found any posts with people having similar issues,although I will post a question myself.

To summarise

Reds are not correct when monitoring through the viefinder or screen or connected to the TV.

Changing the HLG settings only makes marginal differences

Playback of the recording is exactly the same as the monitored one

Only REC 709 and still picture record has the correct colour.

Thank you for your efforts in trying to sort this issue for me

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

I just want to save you from wasting time - your camcorder is not broken and a replacement will show the same color representation when viewing it on the camera.

My question was, if you set your TV up correctly, so it applies the necessary post-processing to the bt 2020 file.

Since Hybrid Log Gamma doesn't get "seen" as HDR by the TV automatically, you have to set your TV up accordingly, otherwise it doesn't "know" it is receiving a HLG signal and doesn't apply the post processing necessary to represent the colors correctly.

What you see on the screen/viewfinder is what someone watching on a normal SDR-screen would see (from what I understand). As explained by the man in the first video I linked - you have to tell the screen what color space you are "feeding" into it, otherwise the colors will be off.

He explains that by setting the TV to rec 709 first and feeding it bt 2020 as signal (colors are shown wrong) - then he sets the TV to bt 2020 and repeats the process, this time the other way round.

If I were you I would get in contact with Panasonic and ask them what you have to set up in order to see a correct color representation if you feed the TV bt 2020 as signal.

Also sorry for the misunderstanding in the beginning (first few comments) where I recommended to color grade the footage or change the in-camera settings to mimick a rec 709 look while recording bt 2020 - I thought you are trying to watch the bt 2020 footage on a normal screen without support for the color space - then in fact you would need to manually change it.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
chasteven
Explorer

The Panasonic is playing back HDR 2020 correctly .This is confirmed by calling up the info on the screen.As mentioned previously the Panasonic can only play back what the camcorder has recorded.As the recording being monitored has this issue then it is recorded and obviously played back with the issue on the TV.

I will await with interest comments from other users

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @chasteven,

@chasteven  schrieb:

As mentioned previously the Panasonic can only play back what the camcorder has recorded.

that is true, yet the TV needs to do something to the signal - if it still looks like you see it on the camera, your TV isn't performing the necessary steps.

As I mentioned before, HLG isn't that much different to previous Log-formats (e.g. S-Log) - even S-Log can capture up to 14 steps of dynamic range, which is by definition also HDR, yet if you view it on your TV unprocessed, it looks milky and washed out.

Same goes for the camera screen - the camera shows you exactly what it captures - it is upon the playback device later down the line to do the necessary post-processing OR you have to color correct the footage to be suitable for SDR playback.

Maybe this explanation (sorry to link the same guy again, yet he explains it very understandable) will help you to get what I am trying to tell you:

- Nic