Join now - be part of our community!

HDR SR12 transfer to mac or external storage?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
smiddlehurst
Visitor

HDR SR12 transfer to mac or external storage?

I am unable to transfer video from HDR SR12 to mac/imovie.

It will read on desktop and can upload mpeg files this will playback in QuickTime but NO AUDIO

using the dock and USB cable but imovie will not recognise HDR SR12 camera?

Is there external HD I can use Western Digital passport AV will that work to store my videos?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Before purchasing an expensive version of an external hard drive, it may be worth trying to import your videos onto a Windows based PC (perhaps a friend's or family member's) just to double check that everything is in working order. I know that this is far from being an ideal solution for a Mac user such as yourself but I am speaking as someone with no real Mac experience - if you can use another Windows PC to import the files you can then put them onto a regular, cheaper USB hard drive before taking them back to your Mac computer.

Looking at the official site for the My Passport AV, your camcorder isn't one of the models that is supported - although it does state that other models of camera may be compatible, it cannot be guaranteed.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello smiddlehurst - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

For similar questions that I have seen about connectivity to a Mac, I have found some useful information by having a look at the official Apple support forums and support pages as they have a lot of specific articles for various version of iMovie.

I would suggest that this article would be a good starting point for you:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1793

I have known of a few situations where the following line has solved the issue:

To import the AVCHD content from the camera when MPEG-2 content has also  been recorded, you must first import and erase the MPEG-2 content from  the camera. You should then be able to import the AVCHD content.

This will of course depend upon the version of iMovie that you are using but you can also click through from this page to the general Apple Knowledgebase.

Thanks,

Simon

smiddlehurst
Visitor

Many Thanks for reply

Unfortunately I cant  import my video content at all.

The HardDrive 'No Name' loads on my desktop and then takes a very long time (almost 1hr) to read files then frustratingly just quits imovie

imovie won't recognise camera at all and I can only get that far by using 'import movies' from NO NAME off the desktop

I was thinking of getting Western Digital My Passport AV just to download and save my movies..does this work with a HDR SR12 camera  or what alternatives do I have of saving all my movie  files off the camera?

Thanks

SMiddlehurst

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Before purchasing an expensive version of an external hard drive, it may be worth trying to import your videos onto a Windows based PC (perhaps a friend's or family member's) just to double check that everything is in working order. I know that this is far from being an ideal solution for a Mac user such as yourself but I am speaking as someone with no real Mac experience - if you can use another Windows PC to import the files you can then put them onto a regular, cheaper USB hard drive before taking them back to your Mac computer.

Looking at the official site for the My Passport AV, your camcorder isn't one of the models that is supported - although it does state that other models of camera may be compatible, it cannot be guaranteed.

Thanks,

Simon