Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Handycam DCR-PC1E download to PC

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
GerrytheMole
Visitor

Sony Handycam DCR-PC1E download to PC

Hi, I have a Sony Handycam DCR-PC1E and want to download the footage from the tape to a PC for editing.  I have the connecting firewire cable, but what next? Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GerrytheMole
Visitor

Hi, after digging around a bit I think I can answer my own question, posted here for the benefit of the community.

With the mini-tape in the camera I attached the firewire cable from the handycam (camcorder) to the PC and turned the handycam onto ‘Player’ as if I was going to watch playback actually on the handycam.  Suddenly the handycam burst into life and Windows Movie Maker fired up on the PC, great.  From there on it was pretty plain sailing you just use the Windows Movie Maker to ‘Capture from video device’.  You give the file a name and a location to copy it to and It automatically divided the file into clips. Editing in Windows Movie Maker is quite straight forward, not that I am an expert and then save the project.

I think I like this, looking forward to many happy hours editing.

Cheers

Gerry the Mole

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GerrytheMole
Visitor

Hi, after digging around a bit I think I can answer my own question, posted here for the benefit of the community.

With the mini-tape in the camera I attached the firewire cable from the handycam (camcorder) to the PC and turned the handycam onto ‘Player’ as if I was going to watch playback actually on the handycam.  Suddenly the handycam burst into life and Windows Movie Maker fired up on the PC, great.  From there on it was pretty plain sailing you just use the Windows Movie Maker to ‘Capture from video device’.  You give the file a name and a location to copy it to and It automatically divided the file into clips. Editing in Windows Movie Maker is quite straight forward, not that I am an expert and then save the project.

I think I like this, looking forward to many happy hours editing.

Cheers

Gerry the Mole

MANDIA
New

Hi, I know its a longshot as this is quite an old post now, but would be grateful if you could help me out!

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-PC1E and read that you were able to transfer these onto your computer using a firewire cable.  I haven't got one of these at the moment, but I've seen some I can buy on the internet.  If I buy a 4 pin data cable with a USB at the other end, will I be able to download to my laptop?

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi,
I don't think so... Probably with an FireWire to USB cable your laptop will can see your Handycam but will can't transfer the videos...
You have to buy an external FireWire "Capture Card" with USB connection for the connection to laptop. If you have an ExpressCard slot in your PC's you can buy this one in FireWire version...
FireWire female connector's is 4 Pin in you Handycam, in the Capture Card / ExpressCard probably the female connector is 6 Pin (for power, but you don't need) so, you can to buy a cable FireWire from 4 Pin to 6 Pin or an adaptor 6 Pin > 4 Pin...

Sorry for my poor english...

Manolo

MANDIA
New

Thanks for the advice Manolo, your English is excellent! It's my technical knowledge that is lacking!

Sent from my iPhone
mabsmo
New

Would you have a link to where I can purchase:

1) the firewire cable

2) the firewire PC adapter

I am UK based.

Thanks

Tags (2)