Join now - be part of our community!

Where can I get a Hard disk drive camcorder in the UK please?

profile.country.en_GB.title
AuraTodd
New

Where can I get a Hard disk drive camcorder in the UK please?

I want to upgrade my Sony DCR-SR32 which is forty GB to a better model. I am looking for a handy cam which has optical zoom. I am not fussed about HD, am either looking at the Panasonic or JVC. I live in the UK so recommendations should be in the UK. I have seen the JVC GZ-MG750BEK Everio HDD on Amazon, but I don't know how good it is, or if it can do M-Peg 2 or if it comes supplied with a USB cable as it doesn't say.

I went into Comet and the assistant said all they do is SD card based camcorders, so I would have to buy a very expensive SD card to use it, which would probably fail short of what I want to film. I go to Cornwall a lot and I'm always using it there. Please can you advise me please?

Many thanks for your help

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello AuraTodd - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As opposed to discussing the merits of one brand against another, I would advise you to shop around online for SD cards as these have become far cheaper in the last few years and they make transferring videos to a PC easy as all you need is a USB card reader - many laptops now have this built in.

For example, the link to SD cards that you have posted has a 2gb card for £7.99 whilst Google Shopping listings shows that the same card can be purchased for between £2-£6 depending upon the store and memory card write speed. The same pattern is repeated with the larger card sizes as well and I have found that my own SD card based camcorder offers more flexilbility than a hard drive equivalent in terms of being able to take as much storage as you need when you are away from home. Major electrical retailers make very little profit on hardware which is why the sales person will usually try and sell as many profit-rich accessories as possible (the margins on SD cards in these stores are astronomical - I used to feel deep shame in my old job in 2007 when I would 'offer' a camera buyer the chance to have a convenient 2gb SD card included with their purchase for only £47.99!)

Thanks,

Simon