Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-H90 questions about "scene selections" setting?!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
karldoog
Visitor

DSC-H90 questions about "scene selections" setting?!

HELP!

Can anyone me to figure out the "generic settings" for the "Scenes" offered in the CyberShot DSC-H90? In other words, what OTHER uses can I use, say, "Pets" or "Food" for? Are they different in their aperture settings? F speed? Can you--or SHOULD YOU--use them for other things like fast-moving objects or dark settings with bright light behind, like say, in an old coal breaker building with a lot of windows?

I have to be honest--I HATE these silly titles and terms that are so specific but have no other relevant information about what exactly their "settings" actually ARE! I wish Sony would just do away with them--if anything, they just offer too many vague settings that you can't really tell what ELSE they cuold be used for. And forget about consulting the manual. It's just about worthless for figuring out anything that in-depth or specific.

Can anyone help? Does anyone have any experience in adapting these settings to any other common situations?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Karl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi Karl, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I know what you mean! They drive me crazy.

I have to say though, if you do spend time finding out what they do, they can give you some useful, quick access to settings that would be either difficult or impossible to set manually.

For example, I have used 'portrait' with a compact before, when I wanted to reduce colour saturation, focus on close subjects and have a shallow depth of field, while 'landscape' is extremely useful for forcing the camera to focus on infinity, as long as you understand that it will also increase saturation.

These are really old 'legacy' settings that still appear on cameras; there seem to be new ones every time a new camera comes out and they can be really hard to keep up with.

I rely on a great Adorama article for this: http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/8098

– pretty much every perset I've ever seen is there with a good description, and it's updated regularly too. Do be aware that it's not been written with only Sony cameras in mind, so some descriptions will not cover all of the settings that a preset achieves, but it's a pretty good guide nonetheless.

Cheers

Mick

EDIT: if you do need help understanding when to use certain aperture, shutter speed, focus and colour settings, please feel free to ask away & I or others here will be able to help.

Message was edited by: Mick2011

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Mick2011
New

Hi Karl, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I know what you mean! They drive me crazy.

I have to say though, if you do spend time finding out what they do, they can give you some useful, quick access to settings that would be either difficult or impossible to set manually.

For example, I have used 'portrait' with a compact before, when I wanted to reduce colour saturation, focus on close subjects and have a shallow depth of field, while 'landscape' is extremely useful for forcing the camera to focus on infinity, as long as you understand that it will also increase saturation.

These are really old 'legacy' settings that still appear on cameras; there seem to be new ones every time a new camera comes out and they can be really hard to keep up with.

I rely on a great Adorama article for this: http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/8098

– pretty much every perset I've ever seen is there with a good description, and it's updated regularly too. Do be aware that it's not been written with only Sony cameras in mind, so some descriptions will not cover all of the settings that a preset achieves, but it's a pretty good guide nonetheless.

Cheers

Mick

EDIT: if you do need help understanding when to use certain aperture, shutter speed, focus and colour settings, please feel free to ask away & I or others here will be able to help.

Message was edited by: Mick2011

karldoog
Visitor

Mick,

I can't tell you how thankful I am for this reply and for that link to the article which you sent--PERFECT! 

Exactly what I was looking for!!

I'm going to spend some time doing some reading up, and see what I can learn. Again, thanks a million--that's EXACTLY what I needed to have!

Karl

Mick2011
New

You're welcome Karl – it's great to have your feedback and know it worked out for you :cool:

Mick