Join now - be part of our community!

HX9V Instructional Videos/Manuals that explain all the Functions?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sonyhx9v
Visitor

HX9V Instructional Videos/Manuals that explain all the Functions?

Hi,

I have just bought the HX9V due to the amount of reviews it has had.  I am not a photo buff, and don't know all the jargon.

I have searched the net for videos or anything that can actually explain how and what the functions are on this camera.   As most of you know there are alot, and I was aware when I bought it that I would probably not use all of them, but did assume that the manual would have more details.

Also, I am finding the GPS rather slow.  It seems to take too long to locate.  I thought it stayed on all the time (at the expense of some battery) so that it wouldn't be slow to locate.   So any ideas on that would help too.

One last question, I can't seem to choose to have the flash on (all the time) in Intelligent Auto!!  Have I just not found how to do it, or can it not be done.

I look forward to anyone and all's help.

Thanx

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi. Hope all is well.

First of all, congratulations on the DSC-HX9V. It is one of the most appealing cameras to have in your pocket!

Now the biggest thing with most products is getting to grips with every feature or having the skill to use it to its full potential. What makes it difficult is without making the manuals insanely huge, a comprimise is usually put in place to give you hints and tips wherever possible but generally leaves it up to the user to learn their product properly. It has been like that for a long while and coming from a background from brands like Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Samsung, it is not much different with them.

Some do give you a pocket guide which is just a break down on the different modes which in theory your user manual should do to. As for finding videos on everything, there are how to videos slowly being made by members of Sony staff for everyone and I can assume will cover a variety of products.

Best thing if you have an account, subsribe to http://www.youtube.com/user/SonyHowTo so can browse through their videos or even drop them a message to request anything. I am not 100% they could document everything but the videos could give you some insight.

Either way, to start, I will jump in with some help for you.

The GPS. In all honesty, the module is pretty tiny. Any larger and the size of the product would increase and as a result, it is a lot less receptive when you compare to a sat nav for example so does require a bit longer than expected to aquire a signal. What I tend to find is making it easy to gain a signal quicker is switching it on in an open location. Large buildings are the main cause why GPS devices do not function correctly. Secondly what you do have if using a Windows based computer is something called GPS Assist via the Picture Motion Browser (PMB) program. It helps kick start the GPS by using your currently location and feeds it to your camera.

Now on to the flash. I am not sure if I share the same mentality as the designers on this one but using a flash ruins photos when used all the time. Especially when firing straight forward, it tends to wash out the colour from photos making them not as vibrant and playful as they could be. What Intelligent auto does is detect when it will be required normally when it is too dark and the shutter speeds will result in blurry photos. Intelligent Auto is exactly as describe, it decides what would be best so all you need to do is press the button. You can force the flash off but not force it to be constantly be used.

Sorry for the essay but hope it gives you some insight. Any more info or questions, fire away.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi. Hope all is well.

First of all, congratulations on the DSC-HX9V. It is one of the most appealing cameras to have in your pocket!

Now the biggest thing with most products is getting to grips with every feature or having the skill to use it to its full potential. What makes it difficult is without making the manuals insanely huge, a comprimise is usually put in place to give you hints and tips wherever possible but generally leaves it up to the user to learn their product properly. It has been like that for a long while and coming from a background from brands like Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Samsung, it is not much different with them.

Some do give you a pocket guide which is just a break down on the different modes which in theory your user manual should do to. As for finding videos on everything, there are how to videos slowly being made by members of Sony staff for everyone and I can assume will cover a variety of products.

Best thing if you have an account, subsribe to http://www.youtube.com/user/SonyHowTo so can browse through their videos or even drop them a message to request anything. I am not 100% they could document everything but the videos could give you some insight.

Either way, to start, I will jump in with some help for you.

The GPS. In all honesty, the module is pretty tiny. Any larger and the size of the product would increase and as a result, it is a lot less receptive when you compare to a sat nav for example so does require a bit longer than expected to aquire a signal. What I tend to find is making it easy to gain a signal quicker is switching it on in an open location. Large buildings are the main cause why GPS devices do not function correctly. Secondly what you do have if using a Windows based computer is something called GPS Assist via the Picture Motion Browser (PMB) program. It helps kick start the GPS by using your currently location and feeds it to your camera.

Now on to the flash. I am not sure if I share the same mentality as the designers on this one but using a flash ruins photos when used all the time. Especially when firing straight forward, it tends to wash out the colour from photos making them not as vibrant and playful as they could be. What Intelligent auto does is detect when it will be required normally when it is too dark and the shutter speeds will result in blurry photos. Intelligent Auto is exactly as describe, it decides what would be best so all you need to do is press the button. You can force the flash off but not force it to be constantly be used.

Sorry for the essay but hope it gives you some insight. Any more info or questions, fire away.

sonyhx9v
Visitor

Hi Watashiwateshd,

Thanx so much for all the info.  I don't have a YouTube account but will sign up for one to be able to use the Sony videos.

I understand that the manual would be huge, that's why I thought I would be able to find the info on their website. 

Thanx for the info on the GPS, I have been trying to install the PMB program with no luck.  I don't have a disk drive in my laptop so have downloaded the program from their website but it keeps telling me that it can't detect a product compatable with the program even though the camera is connect!!

I know that the Intelligent Auto does exactly what it says, but I tried to take pictures the other day with quite a bit of light behind the people and needed the flash on to show them up rather than looking like shadows!!  It didn't seem to detect that.

I think it all boils down to me getting to know it.

If anyone else has any other things to add I would love to know any tips or ideas on the camera.