Join now - be part of our community!

Question regarding photos taken with Sony DSC-WX350

profile.country.RO.title
Andrei8181
New

Question regarding photos taken with Sony DSC-WX350

Hello, I have a Sony DSC-WX350. My question regards the quality/size of the photos. I have set the camera to Large photos, Quality : Fine or Standard. The problem is that the photos are very small (maximum 5 mega each). And even for the lowest zoom (5% for example) I get I lot of pixels. The camera has no RAW version for the photos. Can you please advise me on how to get better quality photos?

Many many thanks,

Andrei

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
thenbman
Explorer

If I'm understanding you correctly, 5 meg for a jpg is normal. To get the highest quality image got to camera settings<Image size and pick the largest eg 18m L:18m on mine, but I don't have the WX350, but WX500.

Best,

Nigel

profile.country.RO.title
Andrei8181
New

HI Nigel, Thanks for your answer. For my camera is L:13M. I use this already. My problem is that the pictures are not great in resolution. If I zoom even a little bit I get many pixels and the pictures are not clear.

Any ideas?

Andrei

profile.country.GB.title
thenbman
Explorer

Hi Andrei,

You haven't got very high ISO have you? If it's above 800, try putting it down a bit see if this can help. I've only just got the WX500, but used Sony cameras for years and even on a  DSLR A100 I know it's old but above ISO 800 I get terrible noise issues, so maybe it could be your issue.

Nigel

profile.country.RO.title
Andrei8181
New

My ISO is set on AUTO. I don't find a way to change it to manually.

profile.country.GB.title
thenbman
Explorer

Go to fn button and ISO is usually highlighted on there by default and just change it, see if it makes a difference.

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @Andrei8181

There are a couple of things to be aware of if you are looking for better image quality (IQ) from your WX350.

Shooting mode: Intelligent Auto will give you very little control over IQ, and will occasionally produce blurred, soft or high-ISO images, as the camera attempts to 'guess' the settings you need. if you use Superior Auto you will get slightly better control and the camera will attempt to improve IQ as a priority. Best of all for IQ is Program Auto, where you are able to set the shooting mode in more detail, including selecting a low ISO.

Set ISO manually: only available in Program Auto mode; select 80 only in very good, bright daylight. A low ISO like this will probably make the biggest difference to IQ of all settings. Only select a higher value if it's a dull day or you are shooting fast action. Like most cameras, bright shooting conditions always produces the best IQ.

Image Size: only with the Aspect Ratio set to 4:3 will the WX350 shoot at its highest resolution (18MP) Remember, the camera will always compress the image file. An 18MP file will typically compress to as little as 5Mb, depending on the subject matter.

Quality: always select Fine, so that camera compresses the file as little as possible.

Try these settings and shoot in good, bright daylight. View your images on a computer screen and you should see markedly better results.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
SandraCoopmans
Explorer

Wouldn't it be if all these 'things' were to be found in a proper handbook, Mick?