Join now - be part of our community!

Buying ebooks via Wi Fi

profile.country.en_GB.title
rcrook2299
Visitor

Buying ebooks via Wi Fi

Can you purchase and download any compatible ebooks to a Sony Wi Fi Reader directly from any ebookstore ( Other than Amazon ) via Wi Fi or are you limited to purchase only those available on the Sony ebook store via Wi Fi ?

5 REPLIES 5
gugabackhand
Visitor

Hi. I'm not sure if I got it correctly. "Sony Wi Fi Reader", can you please further explain? https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

carpetmojo

Hello rcrook - no, you can buy from all the usual suspects lurking in the virtual High Street, like, say, Waterstones, and get from free sites (Gutenberg etc...).Also, if your local library has a digital collection/section, you can borrow from there too.

And don't forget you don't have to use the wifi, you can also download from other sites/sources via PC/laptop as well.

rcrook2299
Visitor

Hello Carpetmojo

Thanks. That's what I thought.

The reason I thought I had better check is the sony dealer was adamant that you could only pay for and download ebooks to the reader from the Sony ebookstore.

I already use a PRS 650 Reader touch and download ebooks via a desktop pc. The new PRS-T1RC appears to be able to do that task directly.

Thanks again

rcrook2299
Visitor

Hello gugabackhand

The wifi reader I propose to purchase is the Sony PRS- T1RC . I want to use the reader to purchase and download books from any ebook store subject to the files being supported by the ereader rather than download them via a pc.

I have been told by a Sony store that you can only pay for and download ebooks via the sony ebookstore and I want to make sure that this is not correct.

Thanks

carpetmojo

I love my Sony readers, and all I can say is - although not a great wifi buyer - I have bought from Smiths, Waterstones, etc... and got stuff free from Gutenberg etc.... on wifi.

And I'm a bit of a Mr. TechDunce.

"Sony Stores" are in fact rather confusing - all they do is sell Sony stuff - they are nothing to do with Sony Corp, and any advice from them should be taken with a spoon or two of salt, in my experience.

They should have a disclaimer on the door really !

On one ocassion I went into one to buy a Sony PVR , as I generally love Sony hardware, and after 4 or 5 minutes of being "helped" by a floor-sales assistant, aided by his Manager, I left, after realising I knew far more about PVRs than they did, and about what the Sony could/couldn't do.

I had done around 30 minutes research online.

Some of the advice they gave me was simply incorrect, some totally unhelpful, and the rest taken from the specs pasted on the shelf. One point was a blatent lie.

In the few encounters I've had with them - in different stores - they want to sell you their stock rather than make sure what they have meets your requirements.

And my experience is not an isolated one.