Join now - be part of our community!

PRS-650 will not switch off properly

profile.country.en_GB.title
Iain_L
Explorer

PRS-650 will not switch off properly

Hi, strange problem here that I was wondering if anyone else had seen, and hopefully solved. The battery on my Reader seems to last about a day nowadays, so I thought it might need replacing (Reader is just over 2 years old). Before going down that route however, I have tried both soft and hard resets to no avail. I have now discovered that even if I turn the device off completely, I can come back to it hours later, and it is back on with either the book or the home screen displaying. This is sometimes happening as well from standby. This leads me to think it may be something other than the battery. BTW, as well as the resets, when being charged it is always from the Sony wall charger overnight, so it gets a good deep charge.

Iain
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@Iain_L wrote:
Hi, strange problem here that I was wondering if anyone else had seen, and hopefully solved. The battery on my Reader seems to last about a day nowadays, so I thought it might need replacing (Reader is just over 2 years old). Before going down that route however, I have tried both soft and hard resets to no avail. I have now discovered that even if I turn the device off completely, I can come back to it hours later, and it is back on with either the book or the home screen displaying. This is sometimes happening as well from standby. This leads me to think it may be something other than the battery. BTW, as well as the resets, when being charged it is always from the Sony wall charger overnight, so it gets a good deep charge.

Iain

Hi Iain,

welcome to the Sony Community User Forum..:smileyhappy:

This has been mentioned once before, and oddly the user reported battery problems as well, but as far as I recall no solution was found..

Best I can suggest is that you contact Sony Support to discuss the problem, it may be just a replacement battery that's required or possibly a repair but hopefully Sony support can offer further advice as I wouldn't want you to pay out to replace the battery only to find the fault remains.:smileywink:

Iain_L
Explorer

Thanks Thalamus, I had seen the one thread mentioning this earlier, was hoping that I had missed the one providing the solution but alas not 😞 I have e-mailed tech support, interested to see what they say. May be the end of my time with a Sony reader, as I don't like the look or the price of the new ones (unless the T3 surprises us all with cost)
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome Iain sorry I couldn't help further but if you get a solution from tech support could you update this thread please..
carpetmojo

....................... "unless the T3 surprises us all with cost)" ........

Ummmmm...........  :worried:

Iain_L
Explorer

Here are the suggestions I got from Customer Service.
1. The Reader may not have been charged fully. Make sure that you charge the Reader until the sign changes to 100%.
2. Low or high operating temperatures (recommended temperature range is 5~35 °C / 41~95 °F).
3. The Reader requires power while in sleep mode. Turn it off instead of leaving it in sleep mode.
4. Browsing the Web. Exit by pressing the (Home) button
5. Playing audio, sign of music icon in the status bar.
6. The Reader battery gradually discharges when not in use for a prolonged period of time.
7. If you are charging the Reader by data transfer mode and the computer enters sleep mode or standby mode, the Reader will be unable to charge, and the battery may drain. When charging the Reader, confirm that your computer is on, and completely charge the Reader before using it.

Glad to see they read the model number (wifi?) and also details of problem (suggesting I turn it off). As they couldn't give me any idea of the repair cost, I have gone down the new battery route to see if that works.
carpetmojo

How are you going down the replacement battery route ?

That was always a bit of a cost barrier, 'cos it was dificult finding a source for one - I know they(or compatible ones) could be sourced in the States a few years ago - and they were expensive to buy.

Then you had to get them fitted - not easy unless you're handy at delving inside electronic gizmos with a soldering iron!

I expect Sony would quote, but that wouldn'tbe/wasn't much less than replacing for a new reader, sadly - unless things have changed.

But the life of these batteries should, ideally , be a very long time indeed, providing it is always regularly charged and discharged.

They thrive on being used ....

carpetmojo

PS ... I'd like to know if you have any success, 'cos sooner or later all us old-time " metal sony" lovers are going to need the battery parachute rescue..........

I vaguely remember there was a video on utube about a DIY effort at replacing one ... I think.

Iain_L
Explorer

Sorry carpetmojo, I hadn't seen these posts before. I used a battery replacement kit from newpower99, via Amazon. The new battery itself was simple to fit, but isn't what I would call extended life. It has however solved the problems I described in my first post, so seems to have extended the life of my 650. A full charge lasts just under a week now.

Iain
Iain_L
Explorer

Well, today I took delivery of my new PRS-T3. The replacement battery route seemed to be a failure in my case, as within a couple of days of being charged the 650 would suddenly display Low Battery, and then shut itself down. I know I could simply have charged it everyday to get round this, but just wanted the reliability of being able to start reading when I wanted to, and stopping when I wanted to, not when the machine decided I should. Shame about the low cost fix, but it was worth a try.